1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2027-18 duck season report?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by BrookeSFD16, Jan 1, 2018.

1. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I don't duck hunt. Some genius put duck season right in the middle of deer season. Everyone knows alot of Louisiana boys are pretty serious about thier duck hunting. I called a couple of my "duck suppliers" yesterday to check in to see what they had shot for me...and the report I got was NOT ONE BIRD. I know this cold front we're in now may help, but normally my guys have seen/shot more ducks by now. We live on a lake and we aren't hearing nearly as many shots as in past years. Anyone got a good report or reasoning as to why we haven't gotten ducks here yet?

2. Doug B

Doug B Member

Hi Brooke

My worst season up here in Montana , It was warm here till last Monday. Nothing was ice up , not the ponds streams or Fort Peck lake.
    With conditions like that Birds were few and far . Lots of geese, no ducks. No ducks here till everything freezes but the river, then the river loads up and its time to hunt
    In 3 trips out I have killed 1 goose. The temps dropped out last Monday, and it is - 35 out now , birds are here but not in the mood to sit in that cold and season ends on the fourth. Wish it stayed open till the end of Jan but we have crybabies up here who want to shoot ducks in September when its hot , the ducks are brown and they can hunt in T-shirts . It is going to warm up into the 10 - 30 next week which is great weather here but season will be closed.

3. There are still a pile of birds in MT...and Id expect to the south of here has a lot. We did a 4 day central MT hunt between Christmas and new yrs and shot 4 man limits of greenheads each day with geese each day. We almost went up to your neck of the woods Doug B to hunt the river with our jets but found closer birds. Was 40 here end of last week beginning of this week so not much incentive for them to move south.

Local to me has a fair number of mallards and a couple barrows goldeneyes still kicking around to get through the season

Attached Files:

4. Doug B

Doug B Member

phutch , you made the right choice hunting where you did. Birds are here now but the season is done for ducks. Ducks were few and far between around Christmas. Lots of geese though.

5. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

Brooke I thought single digits and colder up here [Ohio] would send birds your way ,I've been seeing Goldeneys common mergansers and ringnecks daily

6. BrookeSFD16

It has picked up a little. Been getting a few phone calls. Just seems way later than years past. One thing for sure is it dang sure got cold here!

7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Been slow here because the weather has been balmy. My friends went to Eastern idaho over Christmas and New Years. 30 minute limits of mostly drake greenheads. Here’s two days limits for three guys. Now the work began.

https://imgur.com/a/GIDBS

8. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

Tough season here. We normally shoot 1500-2000 birds/year. This year we didn’t break 500 despite having more flooded grain fields than ever.

Had fun this year getting my boys friend out on their first hunts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as usual the warm weather and south winds late jan kicked the reverse migration in and we got into some “pretties”.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

huntress_brooke and Tom Maul like this.
  9. BrookeSFD16

Wow Todd, y'all smoked em! Boys are getting big! Great pics.

10. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

The kiddos are growing up. That is a stud GWT!!

11. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I've taken in twice the ducks I took in last year. I normally to around 25, but have around 50 so far. East MS is never a hotbed for anything but woodies.