1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Elk antlers.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jbhunter86, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Question: does this look right? This was an archery killed bull that the guy didn’t find until 2 days later. 85* temps, soothe cape was spoiled. He skull capped it and brought it to me. I don’t have any idea on measurements. Does this look correct to you guys?
    2nd question: You’re right antler hangs over the back of the form about 8 inches. I know that I can alter the head neck area to make him turn over and fix this problem but the customer likes this pose. Anyone have any suggestions?

I yes I kind of feel like the skullcap is a little too high, but I’m not sure. It’s only my 4th elk

Attached Files:

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I believe you have 5 choices.
    1) Tilt the head at he head neck juncture which will alter the look and won't be what the customer wants.
    2) Tilt the neck and head at the shoulders, which still gets away from what the customer wants.
    3) Tilt the antlers forward, however, there gets to be a point where they appear un natural.
    4) Do all three. An inch or two here and an inch or two there will get you where you want and be somewhat close to what the customer wants.
    5) New form which may not be what the customer wants.
    You may have to explain that the form pose the customer wants may not be possible. All you need is 1 or 2 inches off the wall.

3. tem

tem Well-Known Member

talk him in doing a habit on the floor. more money for you.

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Like TT said, you can do a little on all the adjustments even tilt the antlers forward a bit. To bad you dont have the back of the skull plate, helps to see how high and angle forward and back. Just an inch in lowering the head will make a big difference in the back of the last tine and probably wont even be noticed.

5. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    On the last pic it looks like they need to be tilted a bit forward. That will help a little but your gonna still need to tilt that head down.

6. you can tilt the antlers forward and add to the back of the manikin, Cut out plywood and attach it to back and shim it to turn that side out from the wall some, then fill void with 2 part foam.

7. dwimberly

dwimberly Member

MS
    if it were me. I would tilt the antlers forward as much as possible that still allowed them to look natural. Then I would trace the back board on the form and cut me out another one. Add blocks to the existing back board for however many inches you need. So if you need 2 inches then nail 2 - 3/4 inch blocks on top of each other sporadically around the existing back board and then the piece that you cut out should go on top of your blocks to create a gap between the existing back board and your new back board and fill the gap with urethane. You have to be sure that all of this lines up. All your doing is adding to the shoulder of the form instead of messing with the pose. No need to mess with the pose. You should have plenty of cape to cover the extra shoulder and this shouldn't make his shoulder look to long. You hide a longer shoulder easier than you can hide a different pose.