1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2018 What's on your Workbench

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by BrookeSFD16, Jan 2, 2018.

1. johnb1

johnb1 Well-Known Member

A cool mall.×black duck hybrid.

Attached Files:

AFTHUNT likes this.
  2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

great looking duck. post pictures when you get it mounted

3. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Next is a Sandhill

IMG_3562.jpg

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Hey Wildthings, I have one of those buggers coming up soon as well. I'm not really looking forward to it, the customer wants it displaying with wings spread. I've never attempted one but, hell, I've never done a lot of things but I ain't scared to try.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  5. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

20180425_115803.jpg badly shot drake and a pinfeathered hen .
    Tommy

6. Wildthings

Got it skinned out today. It'll be Sunday before I can flesh it. This one will be standing. I've done two before this one. One of the other ones I did was displaying his wings. Running the leg wires is a booger!!

Those came out awesome Tommy - love the hen's attitude!

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Wildthings, skinning/ fleshing a crane is on the calendar for next week. I'm not sure when I'll get to actually mounting it. He wants the mouth open and a water habitat to boot so I have to cast the head or use the real one, haven't decided yet, and build the base prior to mounting it. Oh yeah round up more reference as well.

Wildthings likes this.
  8. rogerswildlife

Thank you so much!!
    Tommy

Wildthings likes this.
  9. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First one of these I'll be doing. Guy swears it "flew " into the decoys. I call BS, but it all pays the same. Gonna be a table top flushing mount...I'll have to find a dang fencepost to support him.

little fred and nate like this.
  10. Wildthings

Got it skinned, fleshed, washed, rinsed and into the freezer for later when it comes up. Big birds but tough tough skin

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Good to know. I went from fleshing an Eider to a bunch of wood ducks, man other than the funky smell those sea ducks have, I'll take them over thin skinned, pin feathered, fat wood ducks any day.

BrookeSFD16 and Wildthings like this.
  12. Keenan94

Keenan94 New Member

13. rogerswildlife

20180427_194537.jpg couple of more mallards.
    Tommy

360Concealment and Mario Pinocci like this.
  14. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

So much has been mentioned lately about Cranes I decided to post up a pic of a couple mounted recently. These are the first ones I have done and dreaded it for a long time. I will be honest, they weren't as bad as I thought they might be. I also mount quite a few turkeys a year to so I'm used to big birds.

Attached Files:

15. johnb1

johnb1 Well-Known Member

Keenan94, I picked the wood on the river,by my house.

Keenan94 likes this.
  16. Wildthings

Good jb dmac on the cranes. Looks like you used the real head. Any advice on using them and how about them legs? What's your techniques on wiring them and what diid you use on them/

17. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

18. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Thanks
    I did use the real heads. Just make sure you really clean the heads good. I used apoxy sculp on about a 90/10 mix so you will have plenty of time to adjust the eyes. Also I used some super glue jel inside beak and taped around it to hold it while it dried. I believe it was a 10 guage neck wire. I just drilled a hole in back of skull to receive the neck wire. I just made a horse shoe on end of next wire and hot glued it into place. It helps to hot glue head pretty close to the position desired. That heavy neck wire makes it difficult to bend. You can use one 6 guage wire on one leg an an 8 guage wire on the leg. That is what I use on turkeys most of the time. Hope this helps.

Wildthings likes this.
  19. BrookeSFD16

Not one of my best. But still a Woody.
    [​IMG]

20. BrookeSFD16

Woody day yesterday, Hoodie day today.
    [​IMG]

Still needs to tighten up.