1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird Destruction

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by DL, Jan 3, 2018.

1. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I was recently watching a waterfowl hunting show. They had a lot of slow motion shots at birds. After seeing them get shot and the amount of feathers that get blown off it’s a wonder that we can mount any of them.

2. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

Not to mention the broken bones...

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have the same thoughts after my turkey stops flopping and there are what appears to be hundreds of feathers all around from it.

4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

The ones I hate are those mallards that have so much fat that when they hit the water the skin splits open. You know what’s coming. Maybe we need a fat meter to determine charges for mounting.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You sure it isn't from the dog holding tighter, or chewing? Gotta love em, shot to hell, chewed, often thrown in the bottom of the boat, after having their necks wrung, covered in slobber and mud. I'd say the more I think about it, I think maybe my birds suck a little less, once I overcome all of that.

6. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Nah - they can genuinely split wide open from impact. I've seen it a bunch of times. Sometimes they will still mount up okay but other times the bruising makes every single feather in that area come off.

7. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

My favorite is here in Louisiana... thanks to Duck Dynasty...is they bite the heads...the hunters...not the dogs. Makes for a nice head skinning job and then the feather loss makes the heads look nice and full once mounted...

8. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Oh, I'm aware of that Nancy. With todays gun's chokes and loads guys are bragging about knocking ducks out of the sky 70 to 100 yards up. My lab now and again gets a case of hard mouth and bites a tad hard but doesn't split em open like I've seen. It was more of a tongue in cheek kind of comment.

9. Rabbitman09

Rabbitman09 New Member

I recently got back from a duck hunting trip in Arkansas and saw what you described. We shot a few snow geese and several of them were split across the breast from their neck to their tail. I was wondering what caused that. I mean some of them were really busted up looking.

10. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I got in a Euro Wigeon American Wigeon cross yesterday that a kid shot. Apparently after he shot it he started swimming away. He then unloaded on it under 20 yds. What was decided was to do an IKEA Mount. Use the head and see it into a good wigeon body. Worst shot up duck I’ve seen. Wings couldn’t have been more broken if I had taken a hammer to them.

11. BrookeSFD16

[​IMG]

Quote from the customer
    "Neck shot"

12. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I just, in my most polite manner, say NO. Lets just wait for a better specimen. With the emphasis on NO.

13. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Well Brooke... ya can't say he lied!... LOL. Hope he wants a resting low necker. I'd like to see the outcome if ya give it a go.

14. BrookeSFD16

Tom, that was that leucistic Coot I did. Believe me...if it wasn't such a rare bird...no way I would have fooled with it. Of course he brought it frozen.

I will say that I'm glad I did it now. Let me realize that there's a lot you can fix on these ducks. More than I thought for sure. However I did lower the neck to try and hide as much as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Well Done!!
    I was fleshing a stinking honker one day that had more fat on it than a hog. I was in a fat mist working on it when it got wrapped up in the wheel. It turned out to be a 7 piece ikea Goose.

16. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Oh yes, Brooke... Now I remember.
    Very impressive!
    I hope he fully appreciated just what you pulled off there.
    Now he'll be tellin his buddies, "Take it to Brooke... She can fix anything!"... LOL