1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Swimming alligator, GLOSS or NOT

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by david301, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Have an alligator mounted for competition. It is a swimming up pose. Do I gloss this thing or not. I think they look better glossed but for competition Im not sure about. Never done one for competition before.

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Well, fish are under water and those fish mounts are glossed, although a few people have been putting a matte finish on their fish mounts. Now there is an obvious difference between a gator sunning himself and looking very dull and dirty. But in the water, they are wet.

Having judged the reptile category a couple of times at the UTA show, the gloss on a gator is not going to be a factor IMO.

:)

Kerby...

3. Thanks Kerby. I was leaning toward gloss. Just wasnt sure about most judges opinions about it. Just out of the water they are glossy but looking at them under water not so much. So i guess I will treat it like a fish. So would you go with a thicker auto gloss like a fish or a thinner gloss coating.

4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I am not a fan of the thick auto gloss - just me though. I would go with just a regular gloss that you use on fish. Make sure that it is applied evenly and no runs, etc.

:)

Kerby...

5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I'm with Kerby