1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rehydrating and shaping pelt face

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Emers48, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Emers48

Emers48 Active Member

I recently got a Wolf pelt and the face is a little scrunched and misshapen. I was thinking of rehydrating it and reshaping it. I was going to put it in cold water with salt to rehydrate it and then shape it to how I want it. After that I dont know if I should just let it dry, or oil it. If i do oil it should I try to break it in as it dries like you do when youre tanning. Any advice would help. Thanks, Emerson.

2. Emers48

Emers48 Active Member

For anyone doing this in the future. What I ended up doing was I soaked the face in a cold salt water solution until it was rehydrated and then shaped the face on a flat price of wood that was cut to the shape that I wanted. Before I put it on the mold, I used pro plus oil and applied that to the damp face. Then I placed it on the mold and let it sit overnight. Then the next day I took it off and let it completely dry. It turned out very nice with no hair loss and the tan is still completely flexible.

Jtown likes this.