1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

prepping antlers for fake velvet

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by byrdman, Jan 4, 2018.

1. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

what is the most popular material used for making the bulbous tips on antlers before velvet flocking?Just use sculpting epoxy or is there a better lighter material to use?

2. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

Apoxie sculpt .. some use bondo but it would be harder to shape

3. byrdman

wondered if plastic wood would work...dries light wt. but will it crack or come loose......

4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Try it and find out. A pixie sculpt was recommended because someone tried it and it works. Bondo sucks because it doesn’t adhere to as good or at all. Eventually you’ll get a crack in the repair between the antler and the bondo if there’s any stress on it. Being that you’re having artificial velvet applied in probabably wont matter.

5. byrdman

yeah,not sure apoxie sculpt would let the flock adhesive bond to it....not really wanting to "experiment".

6. ljones

Flocking will stick fine to apoxie sculpt

7. byrdman

not worried about flock...but flock adhesive/paint.....what product to use...latex,enamel,laquer....

8. ljones

The paint adhesive will stick fine to the apoxie sculpt. ... do you plan flocking these your self ? Reason I ask is the flock in the right length and color is hard to find , also you will need a stadic gun to apply it and there not cheap... all you need to do is build up the antlers like you want them with apoxie and who ever does the flocking will do the rest

9. byrdman

yes diy project...have the fibers...not hard to find if you know how to use a computer...and static guns can be bought for 40 bucks or so to start......making my own as well.....electric flyswatter with screen cup......no biggy just have been using colored paint for adhesive but want to make bulbous ends on next set here but wasn't sure what product to make them out of...just hate using allgame/maj scup/etc....the stuff has no decent shelf life for how much I use.....hate to buy a quart of it and let it sit...the only problem on a large caribou set is stopping and starting to hide the "seam"

10. ljones

Good luck on your project.. fibers need to be .125" in length .. and it takes a pretty powerfull stadic gun to handle that length fiber. If you decide it's not going to work out for you send them to my son ben jones 615-517-0001 He has done hundreds for velvet antlers for taxidermists all over the country

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Ben does a great job. I've used him multiple times. Thanks for the info ljones.

12. byrdman

fibers are .08.....no problem......sending them out is waste of money for what they charge......

13. ljones

The .08" length is going to be way too short to simulate anything close to real deer velvet ... you will have no more length with .08 than peach fuzz ..my opinion

14. byrdman

not a deer... not really concerned with your opinion , you dont know what Im doing or product or methods or number of coatings so please just clam up unless you have a better product for making rounded tips as was the subject of this post

15. ljones

the deer family are the only animals that have antlers so I assumed that's what you had .. USE APOXIE SCULPT we have done hundreds that way and it works. Sorry I pissed you off we have been doing artificial velvet for 10 years for our self and other taxidermists... I know what does and dosent work ! Good luck

16. byrdman

how about magic sculpt...that's all I have.........deer fam yes but not a deer....fibers are from same supplier you use and same length she sends you .08 .09 .10 .125 whatever it takes....and mixing in harvested velvet.....maybe....

17. ljones

Magic sculpt should work just as good as apoxie sculpt

18. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

It seems like he was doing nothing but trying to help. Why be an ungrateful d1ck to the guy? He's also the only one that had the answer to your question. Jesus...

19. byrdman

Coal....not really.....gave more info than was asked for...smarty pants...