1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antler Repair

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by RichMO, Jan 4, 2018.

1. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

So this is basically a question.... I was making a repair on the right side 2 tines and made a cast of the left side using latex rubber 74 and at this point all has gone well with basically no problems. I set it up for the new tines and poured with Smooth on 320....no problems basically. I removed the rubber and the texture of the 320 is rough to the feel. Compared to the original antlers, yes it is rough. I can sand down part of this but I feel the roughness comes from air entrapped in the material as it was poured. So here is the question can I use Apoxie Sculpt to smooth down the surface? If it use Apoxie will it stick to the 320 with no problems? When I stain the new tines will the Apoxie and 320 accept the stain the same so as to not cause the new time to look blotchy...? I've used 320 in the past for antler repairs and had no problems but this is the first time I poured a antler repair greater than 6 inches... I guess i'm still a newby...LOL Thanks for any help.... Rich

2. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Kansas
    Rich, I have found that the latex sometimes will react with the smooth on 320. At least I feel that is what is happening. I have went to the Josh Knuth method of mixing paint with the tube silicone. It sets up faster. Imold the antlers I want to try and replace with that. I have never had the smooth on 320 come out rough using silicone. I will get the occasional bubble, but that is easily filled in with fix-it sculpt. It is then up to the artist to color them back to life. Another method to get rid of the rough filling might be to "fill" in the antler with drywall spackling/seam repair. This would then need to be sealed before painting, IMO.

3. steamvalley

steamvalley some cleaned and dipped skulls

I sand smooth and "prime" the antler with a almond and ivory pain and the airbrush the finishing detail over that. That being said I am usually dealing with large portions of antler sometimes whole sides.

4. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

try silicone instead of latex

5. Dave@

Dave@ Active Member

Rich, I use 100% silicone, mix with a little acrylic or
    water paint to help set it up quicker

6. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Active Member

Idaho
    Rich, I would guess that your latex was not fully cured and the 320 reacted with the moisture in the mold.

You could also try using fast cast white from Research, or trufitt. I have used this in latex molds for antler repairs and hundreds of bird heads.