1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Basic Eye Setting Question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Trapper2016, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hello everyone,

I have a really basic question, but it is one that I have not been able to find a good answer on. I do this as a hobby and have mounted numerous small mammals, but the eyes always get me. I end up spending hour upon hour on them. I was under the assumption that when you get in a form, the eye holes will need to be essentially burrowed out. I know that very often they need enlarged, but I was under the impression that the eye space needed to be hollowed out. This therefore creates a problem obvious of trying to make both eyes even when setting them in clay, since there is no firm backing to push the eye into (just more clay). So I end up in this struggle where i spend hours trying to make sure both eyes are pushed into the clay to the same degeree.

As I have watched more and more videos, however, I am seeing quite a few people who may enlarge the eye whole to fit the eye, but they dont hollow out the eyeholes. They leave the depth of the eye the same as it comes from factory. They then use clay down over that and then set the eyes. So is this the way i should be doing it? Is the eyehole backing that comes in the form from the factory the base to which the eyes should be attached too? Or do you normally hollow out that cavity. Seems like a stupid question i know, but i have seen small mammal videos seemingly doing both.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thansk for your time
    Chris

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It often depends on the expression you are attempting to recreate. For most mounts just use what is there, it may take a little adjustment or widening of the eye orbit, to accomodate the eyes you chose but it should get you close. Unless you are using black bubble eyes, then you must deepen the socket. For extreme eye rotation you may need to deepen the socket some but not that much.

3. Trapper2016

Thanks 3 bears. I appreciate the response

Chris

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You're welcome.

5. dwimberly

dwimberly Member

MS
    Just and FYI, if you have to deepen the socket on the form for whatever reason, when you set your eyes, don't judge the angle and depth of the eye looking at the animal straight on. Get over the top of the form and tweek your eyes..depth and angle this will get you very very close to being exactly the same.

6. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

For depth, you can measure from a center point at the back of the head to the front of the eyes with calipers or from the tip of the nose to the front of the eye with wing dividers.

7. Trapper2016

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will definetly be taking them into account on my next mount.
    Really appreciate the advice

Chris