1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Someone wasn't thinking

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AFTHUNT, Jan 5, 2018.

1. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

WOW :eek: :eek: what is up with this Illinois, Iowa and Minnesota all have their conventions on the same weekend. I wanted to go to one of the surrounding states shows i seen the Iowa post looked at the date and that is the one weekend i can't go. So i checked Minn WOW the same dates, So i thought i would try Ill to my surprise the same weekend as the other too. Oh well i guess i will have to try to make it in 2019.

2. Me too,hopefully next year maybe they will separate each other ,too busy in the Midwest in march.

3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Maybe they were thinking. Could there be any reason that they didn’t want mounts coming in from other states?

4. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    It is unfortunate that these shows are the same time. I guarantee the organizers of the MN and ILshows have worked just as hard as us in Iowa to make a great show. Iowa wants to have our show without treacherous winter driving conditions and before turkey season. Small window of dates.. getting world class judges "in demand" isn't easy on the same weekend.

5. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

I'll be at the Iowa show!!

6. DakotahRose

DakotahRose Member

I can guarantee especially in the Iowa Association's case that the reason for this was not because we didn't want entries from other states. That's the farthest thing from the truth. We specifically chose well respected, champion judges and seminar instructors in hopes of drawing as many people to our show as possible from all over the country. We also have over the past couple years implemented an award specifically to recognize our long distance travelers. The conflicting dates are obviously not ideal, but were no means intentional either. We chose based on our brand new venue's availability, judges availability, as well as sticking within the typical time line our show generally falls in. I'm sure the other associations were under the same constraints while making their date selections as well. Implying this was intentional is ridiculous. The volunteers and association members that work hard to put these shows together obviously want them to be succesful and I hope that each show is rewarded with quality entries and exhibitors that are there for the fun and comradery that helps make these events enjoyable.

7. Illinois talked about moving to August at one time but thought that might interfere with family vacations .

8. I've said this same thing to others before. The Iowa and Kansas shows are the same weekend. We're neighboring states! I'd love to attend both but can't if they keep getting scheduled the same weekend. Splitting them up would probably increase attendance for both shows. They'd travel here and we'd travel there. Especially with the line-up of judges Iowa has this year.

9. DakotahRose

DakotahRose Member

I cannot speak for everyone obviously, however I highly doubt that with the costs competitors spend, between entries, hotel, food, travel, etc etc that many would have attended all these shows, or even half of them, if they had been on consecutive yet seperate weekends... i can only assume, yet do so confidently, that most people would have had to choose which one they'd attend regardless. 3-4 days at a show multiple times back to back would not have been ideal either...

10. The Minnesota show has typically been on varying weekends in April. We had to keep moving the show dates around to avoid the Easter holiday. I believe we thought that moving the show to late March would help with that issue.

11. Brian Reinertson

Iowa
    To address the topic of this post. Everyone was thinking! Planning a 4 day show in the Midwest is not easy and even if they're weren't the same dates most people can't take all those days off and drop thousands of dollars to go to 4 shows in 1 month.

Missouri has it figured out, if your show is during vacation season, make it at a great destination!

12. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I like to point out I'm not in the business when I mention anything. I've never been to a show, etc. so I don't know diddly of whats involved.

Are the two associations similar in size and participation?

I was just curious if you thought the adjoining state members would travel every other year. Why not combine the shows and create a little competition inside the competition.
    Still keep your own identities within the show, with your own Best of Show, etc. Same mount in both shows with paid entry, etc, but include a sort of side bet.
    Make it a "Battle of the Border". Which state association can collect the most blue ribbons. In essence there would be 3 competitions going on at once. Each state show and the between the association battle.

We have a fishing Battle of the Border held yearly between Maryland and Virginia. The 2 captains pick 35 teams from their state and the heaviest total of fish wins a nice trophy and bragging rights.
    The tournament launch site alternates. One year it's in Maryland, the next Virginia. It's a blast and draws people across the lines for a fun competition.

Award points based on finish. 1 designated mount for the "Battle" per taxidermist. Other mounts are judged as usual.
    You would have to cap entries for the battle at the number of entries from the lowest state. If Iowa had 50 entries and Illinois 60 then you can only count 50 from Illinois. Base it on first entry received. If they need 50 entries and your 52 then enter sooner next year.

States would only have to pay for the hall every other year, saving the association money. 1 set of judges, etc. Two shows and one more week of time freed up.

Stupid idea? Tried and failed before? Should I go back to current events and shut the h#ll up?

13. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Ok, I get it. Stupid Idea. I'll zip my lip :-X :)

14. EA, Not a stupid idea. I'm not on the board in Minnesota but I think I remember this concept being discussed at one of our meetings. We did have some member discussion about it and decided not to pursue it.

15. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

I just talked to a vendor yesterday and they did the Wi show and Mn show last year and were all excited that, this year they were going to attend 2 of these shows this year Mn, Ia or Ill . Then I broke the bad news that a three shows were on same date. They were going to go to two of the three now only one can be attended.

16. Brian Reinertson

Iowa
    Well, in 2019 the Iowa show won't be that same weekend. Booking high quality venues is not easy. In 2019 the Iowa show will be the last weekend in March or one of the first 2 weekends in April. Board is going to pick one of those 3 dates Saturday.