1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

flying duck mount, no wing bone

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by allison1952, Jan 5, 2018.

1. allison1952

allison1952 Member

Whats the best process for mounting a flying Mallard with no wing bone, filling the void etc. and is it best to use 14 GA. wire or jump to 12 GA???Appreciate any and all advice..Stay warm..

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Which wing bone?

Pretty much just replace it. Either with a heavy wire that you can wrap or some type of cylindrical piece. I use cut off ends of carbon arrows I get from the archery shop, but old ball point pens work too. Just make sure all the joints still work as they are supposed to. Once the bone is replaced just wire as normal.

[​IMG]

3. Branden

Branden Member

What if it's broke off completely at the wrist ?? How would one come about that

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Hopefully not both wings are missing the same bones. I take the measurements from the other wing and recreat the bones with wire, straws and or popsickle sticks. If you have to do this without any bones, ask others if they may have the measurements and go from there or try and guess using the skin as a guide.

5. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Branden, unless it's a rare bird or you just want the practice, if there are no bones in the wing at all I would not fool with it. However, like 3 bears says it can be done. There's a tutorial on here somewhere that shows how to reconstruct and attach the bones for a bird that's broken off at the wrist.

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

get a fryer chicken from meat market that has wings intact and use the entire wing skeleton...minus the wrist and thumb.....rad/uln will be roper length, and hum can be cut to match good wing on your bird....clean as you would any bird leave tendons intact.....works good

silverwings likes this.
  7. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,311643.msg2134512.html#msg2134512

I have a sketch posted in this thread that shows how I do it. I can still see it but I'm not sure if anybody else can. (Thanks to Photobucket - grrrr)
    If it doesn't show I can try some other way. All you need for this method is some wire, some strong thread and a heavy needle.

8. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

I remember seeing this long ago, Nancy. Good stuff.
    I clicked on your link and it’s still there... ;)

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

That sketch instantly came to my mind when I saw this thread, however, trying to explain it was a little beyond my capabilities.

I have done this before after seeing the sketch and it was successful.

10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

I once used a section of a plastic paint brush handle to splice together the broken wing bone on a duck and it worked perfectly....on a live duck!

11. allison1952

allison1952 Member

thanks for all the advice everybody, sure appreciate it..stay warm

12. Rabbitman09

Rabbitman09 New Member

There are 2 types of customers i get. You have people that bring fully plumed unbroken birds that want a perfect mount for their collection, then you have people that bring you a bird that is their first of a particular species. Those are just as important as the prime specimens. Those birds mean a lot to both sets of people. About half of the birds that people bring me that are their first and they want that particular bird mounted are broken up like they have been hit by a car. Skull crushed, I use the real bill, all wing bones shattered, legs hanging like spaghetti noodles. I have to do a lot of improvising reconstructing the bones, but it's rewarding when you get that thing put back together. You sure do some cursing while working on them though!