1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

River Otter Paws

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by SeaBrisket, Jan 6, 2018.

1. SeaBrisket

SeaBrisket New Member

Hi so I have two river otter paws and want to preserve them.
    I have done squirrel paws by putting them in isoproply alcohol and then a borax solution and that worked really well
    Does anyone know if that same method will work for River Otter paws?
    I already put them in the isopropanol solution so Ill find out soon enough but I rather know if its gonna smell like death or not.
    Thanks!
    Also if anyone knows a better way let me know. I am curious.

2. SeaBrisket

SeaBrisket New Member

Since no one replied I figured I would at least do an update for anyone who wants to do this in the future.
    I soaked them in isoproply alcohol for 4 days and changed the isoproply alcohol once a day.
    Then I made the borax solution in warm water and put it in that and the fridge to cool it down.( was afraid warm water would promote bacteria growth)
    After this I used surgical scissors from a dissection kit I had to cut away as much flesh as I could on the inside
    I didnt get rid of all of the flesh but a good amount
    I let them dry and they are alright
    They sort of smell like feet though...

3. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hello,

Otter have pretty thick feet, so i doubt that soaking them in the alcohol and borax will preserve them long term. There is so much meat in their feet that I would imagine that you will begin to have problems with smell and decomposition in the near future. On feet as small as a squirrels, you can get away with using the procedure that you used, but Otter are a much bigger job to tackle. In order to preserve them long term you would need to skin the feet all the way down to the toenail joints and then remove the fat/muscle from the skin (flesh it). Then apply your preservative. Others can chime in, but i imagine you are going to have major problems with rot and odor.

Chris

4. Being a water animal there also greasy.