1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

on the pheasant head?? Please help!!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by sgt_franks, Jan 10, 2018.

1. sgt_franks

sgt_franks New Member

Ok guys, Ive only been mounting waterfowl for a short time. maybe have 15 birds under my belt. some went well some not so good. Any way, I got a friend who brought me a couple of pheasants to try out. I have the forms and artificial heads. When doing the waddles, i am told you have to split them? If i have the head that already has waddles on it, Do I still use the waddles on the bird;s skin? Or do I just cut those off and paint the fake waddles? If I use the real ones do I still need to split them and stretch them over the fake ones? I am sure I got the concept of everything except the head part of these birds. Can some one please help me out

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You do split them and install over the cast waddles.

3. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

after i split them and and put the head in, i inject some caulking in between the wattles to plump them out a bit.

turkeyjim likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

There are two kinds of artificial pheasant heads. On has wattles that to you have to split the skin of the wattles and insert onto the wattles of the head when you insert the skin over the head. The other comes with artificial wattles that are meant to be exposed and painted in which you remove the head skin wattles. Research and WASCO sell the ones with the artificial wattles as well as the "normal" heads with the wattles you cover with the head skin.

5. sgt_franks

sgt_franks New Member

Ok, I bought the ones from Makinzies. they look like they just need painted but i dont know, thats why im asking. HTe other heads dont even have a beak on them.

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would call McKenzie. They will be able to tell you exactly what you need to know.

7. on the dh201's split them then install. silicone to fill out, but use a brush instead of your finger to move the silicone around to help keep the waddles from flattening out on you. then brush them to fluff out all those little feathers in the waddles. works great