1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mottled or Black Duck?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by DavidP., Jan 11, 2018.

1. DavidP.

DavidP. New Member

I need help ID'ing this bird. I believe it is a mottle but all the mottles I have shot before had white on the tips. This one has heavy solid black bars and has a purple sheen from the back and green from the front. Didn't know if it may be a cross.

Attached Files:

2. I'm going with Black Duck

3. DavidP.

DavidP. New Member

Anybody else have any ideas?

4. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Where did you shoot it

5. hard to tell. to me it looks like a mottled but as you said normally there is white tips on the bottom of the black bars. but sometimes the white tips were very light almost not there. the greenish speculum from the side looks very mottled duck to me as well. the brown body and light colored head also scream mottled duck. down in south texas mottled ducks are common but there is a relative of theirs called the Mexican duck that look identical to mottled ducks except they have white tips on top and bottom of the black bars. so many sub species of mallard hard to know for sure what you have do to all the cross breeding the mallards and their sub species have done over the years but if you are from the south I would put my money on "its just an oddball mottled duck with no white tips"

6. DavidP.

DavidP. New Member

I shot it in SC. I read an article on mottles and it said in cases with no white tips it was a pure mottle. Either he was a nice bird and I was just curious of what yall might have thought it was. Thanks