1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pintail question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by benp, Jan 14, 2018.

1. benp

benp New Member

I searched throughout the board but couldn’t find an answer I was looking for.
    I shot my first pintail today and thought about mounting it myself or get a “professional” to do it. What worries me about doing it myself is how to you mount a pintail and go through that whole process without messing up or breaking the sprig feathers.
    I think I read some people take them out and then reinstall them when mounting the bird on the manikin but I may be mistaken.

Is there any special method or caution when doing the cleaning and mounting of the pintail?

2. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hi benp,

Have you ever done bird taxidermy before? If not, and the bird is special to you, i would suggest going the professional route. Birds are among the harder of all animals to do and do well. My first half dozen birds looked like crap, and mine still look like crap. Luckily i just do it for a hobby though. But i know if i shot a special duck i wouldn't take the risk. If you have done other birds before then it should be no problem, but i think everyones first bird typically comes out looking like frankenstein unless you are some sort of prodigy. The only difference that i have really noticed when going between game birds and waterfowl (in my limited experience), is that you will deal with alot more grease and oil to get rid of. Plus going through a much more in depth washing cycle than if dealing with a game bird. But i may be preaching to the choir here if you have mounted birds before.

If it means alot to you and you have never mounted a bird before, i would definetly go the professional route though.
    Just my opinion.
    Have a good one

Chris

3. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

x2

4. benp

benp New Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have done a few birds before mostly wood ducks which don’t usually have a lot of fat. I’ve done a couple coots and a woodcock before which I thought was the most difficult because feathers easily came off.

I feel confident in that I can get a decent mount but I just can’t wrap my head around how I am gonna clean this pintail and then toss it around in the prep and tanning work without damaging the long tail feather.

5. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

The tail feathers will be fine. Just handle with some care.

6. x3 Trapper

7. Mario Pinocci

Mario Pinocci M.V.P. Waterfowl Taxidermy

I have done several Pintails they are no different then your regular mallard. If you can mount a W ;)ood Duck with their thin skin you will have no problem mounting a Pintail. Remember Puddle ducks have thinner skin then divers. Good luck.

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

pheasants,oldsquaws, handle and mount up with or without removing tails...pintails no problem,,,,if youre worried pull out spikes and glue back in later but you wont have a problem

9. benp

benp New Member

Okay I feel like I can do it. Which it will be a couple months before I can get to it probably so if I change my mind I can still take it to somebody.

Here is the first duck I mounted, a wood duck Drake that my brother had shot.

Attached Files:

10. Nice first bird. If you started with a wood duck, it can only go easier from there :D