1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What is it?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by spurhunter, Jan 14, 2018.

1. spurhunter

spurhunter Active Member

SC
    Please offer ideas on what hybrid mix this is. Not my duck, posting for another from a hunting forum. Thanks in advance for ideas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Active Member

NW Ohio
    That there is a interesting one for sure. Heck of a good looking bird. Hope it makes it to someones wall

3. spencer2

spencer2 Member

Looks like a black duck x wood duck.

4. Rabbitman09

Rabbitman09 New Member

Spurhunter posted that picture for me bc I kept getting an error saying the picture file was too large.I killed the duck on Saturday morning and have been trying to figure out what the heck it is. I'm a taxidermist myself part time and only do waterfowl and fish. That beak color is going to be darn near impossible to replicate. I've been showing and asking people all over and I've been getting everything under the sun. Wood duck x mallard, wigeon x mallard, wood duck x black duck, wigeon x black duck. It has several feature that resemble
    Several duck. The feet are the color of a black duck, it's dark, and the head is light and speckeld like a black but like a wigeon too. That black saddle on the bill looks like it's part wood duck. The body is round and plump like a wigeon and same size. Not as big as a mallard. It's got a green top. I wish there was some way to send off a tissue sample for identification. That green speculum is really interesting. Green like a wigeon or mottled duck.

5. nate

nate Active Member

I’d say a hen woodduck mallard cross

6. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

Rabbitman09 What breed of ducks was it flying with, birds are startig to pair up that might help with id.

7. Rabbitman09

Rabbitman09 New Member

Afthunt it was flying out of a wood duck roost. He came out by himself.

8. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

i would go wood duck, black duck cross

9. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

That one's quite a puzzle. My best guess - and it's only a guess - is that it's a mallard x wood duck female.

10. Mudbat

Mudbat Well-Known Member

Orange with some light grey misted real light then finished with some charcoal

11. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

color of the feet are the first hint of one of the parents

12. Rabbitman09

Rabbitman09 New Member

Museum man...if the speculum was blue i would say mallard but that green is throwing me off. Neither wood duck nor mallards have green speculums.

13. Gooser 24

Gooser 24 New Member

Try looking up wood duck mallard hybrid on google. It's hard to
    Tell from photos alone. Either way very cool bird!

14. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

mallard/woodduck.....young male or possible hen...but black near rump says young male...but definetly mall/wood......theve been a common cross

15. Crittergitter92

Crittergitter92 New Member

Wood duck or widgeon/ mottled