1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Freezing

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by west tn, Jan 16, 2018.

1. west tn

west tn New Member

I have searched here so maybe y'all can help me in what terms to use or just a quick answer will work. On euro mount do I just freeze and n garbage sack and then thaw out at room temp to skin and take eyes brain and flesh off before maceration

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Nope. Just skin the sucker and cut off what meat you can, remove the eyes and the brain. All ready to macerate. I assume it is a deer? The freezing part is to kill invaders if you are going to bring it inside to give to a beetle colony. Bagging is to sweat off horns from cattle and the like. Maceration is rotting so you don't care about other bugs and hitchhikers.

3. west tn

west tn New Member

Sorry for the confusion but I was talking about the ones I can't immediately get to

4. Skulltastic

Skulltastic Member

I have no experience freezing first but I think a good sugestion would be at minimum to remove the brain first. I like to remove it ASAP it just seems like it wants to bleed fat and oil into the bone.

5. Sea Wolf

Cut off all meat you can. Especially remove the brain. If you can, it won't hurt to soak for a day or two in COLD water. let that leach out a lot of the blood. then set the heads aside to dry out. A fan on them will hasten the process. Maceration will take a little longer with a dried out head but it will still work.

sncrsw likes this.
  6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I totally prep skull before freezing. After skinning, remove bottom jaw, eyes, brain, and trim areas behind eyes, along each side of top jaw, and on the bottom of the skull. This only takes about 10 minutes, and it greatly reduces the amount of flesh for beetles to clean. My frozen skulls go directly into the dermestarium, and most are stripped clean in 24-36 hours.

7. west tn

west tn New Member

Thanks gentlemen. I am just getting started and froze some doe heads to practice on before next year Still in process of setting shop up and guess I will just thaw out to practice once I do.

8. sncrsw

sncrsw New Member

Question for you, sir...do you worry about flies landing on the skull during the time the skull sits in front of the fan, spreading maggots, then having them show up in your beetle box causing more problems? This website has been a great source of knowledge as I continue to grow my business and hopefully make the transition to using bugs soon. Thank you, sir! Attached is a photo of a recent bear skull I've finished. (I'm glad this new format allows folks to see pictures on here better). IMG_20180309_204514_669.jpg

9. Sea Wolf

To be honest, I only have a small colony and I keep stuff in the freezer before giving it to them. If you are trying to dry things out and you have an issue with flies, you could try and cover the specimens with a screen. On the occasion I have done so, it was done inside in a room that had no insects. The problem with the dried out heads will be, if you are storing them somewhere, they will still attract other insects if they are not in some sealed, protected area.

10. fogbound

fogbound Member

If skulls are skinned and well prepped, they can simply be left outside to freeze/dry. Prior to putting in the colony, the soaking to rehydrate the meat will kill any potential insect invaders. Do protect from insects while drying to put in colony.