1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey taxidermy

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Smittee, Jan 16, 2018.

1. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

You don't need a lot of pressure to pressure wash a turkey...maybe 1000 psi. I idle the engine down, back off on the pressure, and use the yellow tip. Takes me about 20 minutes to do a bird. There is very little wheeling required after this. Wash, Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, Rinse, then hang in front of a fan for a while, blow dry with a shop vac, then mount.

2. Smittee

Smittee Member

How long do you soak it in mineral spirits?

3. mineral spirits isn't necessary. just extra expense and time. wash, rinse, spin in washing machine, hit with compressed air, master blaster, then finish off with hair dryer.

4. Outdoordad39

Outdoordad39 New Member

Good day, I harvested my first turkey last year and just got it back from a trusted/past proven taxidermist but I have questions. The bird is in full strut but the primary and secondary wing feathers look seperated. Almost stuck together. Is this an improper wash and dry job and is this fixable/suggestions. Can post pics later.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would need pics before I can offer any advise.

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

This is the ideal way for a beginner to flesh turkeys. But a holder for your drill from Harbor Freight so you can use it as a bench grinder. Get a soft wire brush, and begin wheeling. With a little practice, you will become very proficient. I've been there, I know.

BTW, if you pressure wash, reduce the PSI so that it is slightly uncomfortable for your fingers when held in the stream. Use a Yellow nozzle. Pressure washing greatly reduces the time required in fleshing turkeys for those who are not proficient in wheeling. Both methods work equally well.

7. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I used to strictly use a wire wheel for fleshing turkeys. Then I tried using the pressure washer method and have never gone back. I mount quite a few turkeys every year. Using a fleshing wheel seems to just smear fat and grease everywhere including on feathers.
    Benefits of pressure washer.
    1. You don't have to bend down and get back and shoulder cramps.
    2. There isn't nasty grease flying everywhere.
    3. You can stand up comfortably using pressure washer.
    4. You cannot believe how much cleaner your bird is when it first goes into the dawn wash.

8. Outdoordad39

Outdoordad39 New Member

9. Outdoordad39

Outdoordad39 New Member

10. Outdoordad39

Outdoordad39 New Member

This is bird left wing, the veins on the wing feat hers seem to have not been cleaned/brushed out correctly. I attempted to steam them in order to fix the matted look and it made a slight improvement but I'm still left with this afterward. Any help or advice is appreciated. I don't know if it's shot work or not but I am done with that taxidermist 20180706_172302.jpg