1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hooded merganser help

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by pjhunter17, Jan 17, 2018.

1. pjhunter17

pjhunter17 New Member

Hello yall,
    Been a while since I've posted, I'm attempting a nice hooded swimming mount and have a few questions. I am using a Shane Smith body, never used one before n don't quite get or see where u insert the get at, like general region? Also just wanna know what yall do to keep the hood nice n fanned out? All the different techniques.
    Thanks!

2. caulking under the skin . pull hood forward and nurse it for a little while . the DP will help the caulk dry

3. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Member

I had the same question and received some valuable information on this subject. Make sure the skin is well fleshed (so all the quill butts show through the skin, wash and dry it thoroughly, I added Appoxie Sculpt on top of the head of mine then slide the skin up you have to lock the ear openings where they belong (pin, glue,) then blow the crest from the back towards the front. If all was done correctly and the bird is clean the crest should do what it does naturally and stand up and be nice and full. I then took a thin wire and lightly pushed the head skin with the wire between the feathers down to the Appoxie Sculpt and if needed use the air one more time. When your happy keep an eye on it for a couple days till dry. Hope this helps and makes sense. Good luck

Tom Maul likes this.
  4. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

On Mckenzie's website... on the home page... above the red button you'll see on-line videos... click there then click the green button and you'll see Shane Smith has some very informative videos. Perhaps you'll find your answer there.

5. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Like Tom said, definetly check out the Shane smith videos. They answer just about every question when it comes to his forms. I have purchased several of his bodies and with the help of the videos, it is a very good system. Good luck

Here is a quick link to them
    https://www.taxidermy.net/ken/?p=1407