1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Red headed duck paint problem

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Gregg S., Jan 17, 2018.

1. Gregg S.

Gregg S. New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm having a tough time getting the color right on this redheaded duck beak. I use LIFETONE paints. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the color looking appropriate? I tried to upload a pic but the file was too large.

Thanks,

2. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

McKenzie sells a video by Joe Ferebee in which he mounts a Redhead Drake that has a section in it with his method of painting the bill. A good basic video for someone just starting out.

3. rlbrown

rlbrown Member

try natural grey mix drops of blue to get the shade you like

4. Gregg S.

Gregg S. New Member

Thanks for the insight.

5. Edrevord

Edrevord Member

Natural grey with a few drops of light blue. You will need to compare it with the straight natural grey because it will be hard to tell until you put them side by side. Then white on front 1/4 of bill. Then black on front with a brush.

6. try misting some stone grey from wildlife colors over your light blue till you get the color your after. works for me

7. I haven't done one in awhile but I would paint the tip white first, then the light blue over the rest of the bill, then the stone gry over the light blue. spray the grey heavier towards the head covering the light blue then fade lightly over the light blue towards the white tip of the bill. then some black in the corners of the bill by the head

1stturkey, SteveM and BigSwede like this.