1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Looks like I got mites, please help.

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by whytail3912, Jan 17, 2018.

1. whytail3912

whytail3912 Member

I have a chest freezer set up with two plastic tote bins inside, there are little white mites (I guess they are) all over everything inside the freezer, including the sides of the totes, the freezer walls and on the inside of the lid. Beetles have the white dust look on their back, I have aspen shavings for bedding and no Styrofoam in the bins so that's not what is on the beetles. The beetles are still cleaning skulls but I am guessing not for long according to what I have read. I am guessing this is a total loss and need to kill everything and start over, right? What is best way to kill and clean up these mites? Please help, Thanks!

Update: After doing some more reading I have sprayed the everything inside the freezer enclosure but the bugs and bedding with either 70% rubbing alcohol or 99% Isopropyl alcohol, (cant remember which I had in my bottle labeled alcohol).

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Spritzing the walls and everything else will kill those off. After a day, more of them will crawl up there so you can kill them again. Look online for Checkmite. Strips for beekeeping. Were you feeding dog food by any chance?

3. whytail3912

whytail3912 Member

I looked in a little after I sprayed and they were crawling right where I sprayed at the top of freezer wall, like it didn't kill them, couldn't imagine new ones crawling up that high to that spot that soon.

No, I haven't fed any pet feed of any kind, only skulls that I have froze ready to go with the brains, eyes, and all big meat cleaned off. I pull from them freezer, let thaw and dry a little for about an hour or so and put it into the bugs. My humidity has never went above 60 as per the digital hygrometer, I keep the temp between 70-80 and I only mist the skulls with a spray bottle to moisten as they are cleaning.

The mites are a whiteish/light tan color, about the size of a pin head or smaller and you can barely see them move, they look like dust all over everything, but can definite see them crawling and can smush them. Cant get a good enough picture of it to post it.

Where is a good place to get the mite strips?

Thanks!!!!

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Use the Advanced Search and search for checkmite. Go through the posts. A few mention where they got it and you can search online. Check any local places that sell beekeeper supplies.

5. whytail3912

whytail3912 Member

6. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

I bought a tub/bucket of these some years back. They are spendy ;) You are supposed to put down a couple of wood strips to put these on. Only sure fire way IMO to truly get rid of the mites short of burning everything and starting fresh. I always speculated mites could be carried in by common flies. Especially if your specimens are frozen first, including any bedding or cardboard. NEVER, EVER put in specimens that have been exposed to other insects or left outside.