1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitening Deer Skull for European Mount

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Rob, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Rob

Rob Member

When Whitening a deer skull after Degreasing I am soaking it over night in 40% Hydrogen Peroxide for the whitening. Would you submerge the skull up to the antler burrs or would you just brush it on? Did not know if submerging 40% Hydrogen Peroxideover night will damage the skull or not. Thank You .

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Peroxide will not damage your skull. What you more than likely have is 40 vol from a beauty supply store. It is not 40%. I submerge the skulls almost up to the antler burrs and then cover the top of the skull and around under the burrs with white cotton cloth. You can use white paper towels too as long as they don't have any printed designs on them.

3. Rob

Rob Member

Sea Wolf you were right it is 40 volume not 40 % Hydrogen Peroxide. My mistake. Thanks.

4. Sea Wolf

40 VOL is pretty strong stuff and will certainly do the job. Any white spots that turn up on the burrs are easily touched up.

5. marlin3030

marlin3030 New Member

do you heat it at all? or just let the peroxide do the work at room temp?

6. Sea Wolf

Room temp. Heat will just cause the peroxide to break down faster without accomplishing much.

7. jimmyjoe

jimmyjoe New Member

I use the whiting from McKenzies with 40 peroxide. Whip it up, let it set for a bit then thin with more peroxide. I have found it works best if the skulls are bone dry before brushing on. I brush it on about three times then set in the sun after last application. Next day they are very white.

8. Sea Wolf

If you wrap the wet skull with plastic wrap, it keeps it in place as well as prevents it from drying out too fast. The longer it is still wet, the longer you keep it working. Wrap and get it under a heat source to get it as white as possible. Turn it several times to expose all sides to the heat evenly. A red lamp or a heater will do. Monitor the skull so it does not get too hot or get burned if you are using a heat lamp.