1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

So far so good

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm a so tired of running behind where I want to be. Anybody else?

So far all fish coming in have been mounted and kept out of the freezer. I have some serious catching up to do, but my hope is to get everything that comes in immediately mounted and hanging from the rafters. Not saying it will be done quickly but I won't have to dig in the freezer. I really really want to empty my freezer this winter as this is my slowest period!

I also have some fish I am trying to get the finish work and painting done, and am too embarrassed to say how long I've had them. :-[ I don't know how you guys that do all the taxidermy categories do it. I have enough trouble getting the fish out!

Sotired likes this.
  2. Spend less time on the fish forum and more time doing fish taxidermy ;D I"ll get my ear chewed for that ;)

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You're right Bender. A maximum time of 20 minutes a day is just too much! Ill try and cut back. Thanks for the constructive criticism.

And btw if you're counting posts as how much time I spend here, which I think you are, it took me all of 25 seconds to type this post.

4. Cecil this used to be the go- to site for all fisheads .I learnt a lot from it as a beginner a few years back and got all my inspiration from the great works and tips on here. As someone touched on a while back , its gone to the dogs . Too much trivial stuff that no one much cares about , not enough how-to factual stuff, too few contributers and a fraction of the finished fish pics that there used to be .I quit contributing to tmifp a while back cant get the things up .Thats my whinge for the day back to the workshop for me.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Bender,

1. One of the reasons we don't have as much activity is the snide remarks people make here and the one up-man-ship attitude of some. You just did that to me. I know one person here that only answers questions via P.M. because he's been attacked so many times. You actually made me question why I post here.

2. I've been here almost from the beginning and have contributed lots of tutorials along with photos. I may ask a few questions now and then, and share things, but I feel I've helped a lot of people here.

3. Now that you must be an expert from all the help and inspiration you got here, and annoyed by posts such as mine, perhaps you could now contribute what you've learned? Or do you prefer others to do it and complain about the lack of activity?

I'm off now and back to work and won't post until my 12 hour work day is over if that is O.K. with you.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Sotired likes this.
  6. Ken 2

Ken 2 Member

Cecil, your contributions are appreciated.....as well as the contributions of others.

Cecil likes this.
  7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thank you for the kind words Ken.

8. JRtaxidermist

JRtaxidermist Member

Cecil also sells some high quality fish! Can't wait for the trout to be ready!

Cecil likes this.
  9. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Thanks!

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Still keeping up! All the fish that have come in the last month are hanging from the rafters except one (northern pike) due to waiting on the mannikin. I'm also pulling fish out of the freezer and mounting them too. I have about 6 walleye in there, a couple of skinned out musky, four or five bass, a steelhead, and a brook, brown, and rainbow. I think that's it. There are about 20 fish hanging from the rafters. If anyone calls about a fish that is hanging from the rafters I say,"When do you want to pick it up? I looking at as we speak and I just need a couple of days to finish it up."

I'm telling you it is going to feel good to look into that unplugged freezer and see it empty! One fish coming in today but will have that skinned out the next day and the mannikin ordered. Yee Haw!

Hell if I run out of fish (never happened in 35 years) I will just do some one on one classes again, and my other frozen fish business takes up a little of the slack.

And a little secret that also seems to help my motivation: I've been briskly walking on the treadmill about 2 miles every day.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  11. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Member

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

???

13. ausfish

ausfish Member

I don't think Bender meant to offend anyone us Aussies have a different sense of humour if not a little bit warped at times . This page has gone down hill I think because of peoples sensitivity and intolerance of other peoples opinions and questions . This seems to be the norm these days world wide .. I still enjoy the page but would like to see more.. cheers Des.

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

First my ??? was in response to quoting me by stuffenstuff but no comments. Perhaps he had trouble with the mechanics of the new site? Or he posted something and decided to delete it? Or he agreed with that quote?

And I suppose I accept that Bender may not have meant to offend anyone, as cultures do have different senses of humor. I know that because half of my family is European. My German mother does't have much of a sense of humor at all and she gives new meaning to the word blunt. But Bender could have come back and said it was just meant as humor, but he didn't. It came off as the usual insensitivity and lack of tolerance of others opinions and questions here as you say.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm getting there with my goal to empty the freezer! Still skinning out and mounting any fish that come in and keeping them out of the freezer. That slows things down but it has to be done or I'm right back where I started with fish piling up in the freezer. 15 more fish to mount! Sorry shop is a disaster but I'm getting things done and I'm whipped at the end of the day!

My goal is to keep things out of he freezer unless I need to freeze just the skin before I get the mannikin or carve the body. This will be such a psychological life and if someone calls about their fish, I can get it down from the rafters and get it done in a couple of days. No more digging in the freezer or responding to those irritating calls.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

The other day I said to the wife, "All my musky and pike are mounted and drying. God I hate skinning these things out and now I can take a break from them." Next thing I know I get in a pike and musky with one more coming in the next few days! :eek: Both are now skinned out and waiting for the mannikins though.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Walleyes in the back that didn't show up in the first pictures.

[​IMG]