1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Using mache for skull cap rebuild

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by doedumatch, Jan 18, 2018.

1. doedumatch

doedumatch Member

Been thinking about using a mache like material for rebuilding skull cap on a whitetail. Only question I have is how to attach the antlers to the form and be able to mache in the cap for preping a bunch of forms. I use Bondo and three screws on the bottom side to get my angle and such but can’t seem to figure out how to be able to remove the antlers after the mache is added. I use a short y so I need to be able to put on antlers after cape is pulled on.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Use your bondo to set antlers, pop em off pull cape on reattach and then mache the cap in, do something else for a bit, let it set up, come back and get after it.

3. I use mache. I make sure my skull plate is cut to the correct angle before I do anything. After I slip the cape on I screw the rack down. Then I pin the flap of hide down towards the nose and put the mach on the skull plate. I use the McKenzie mache and it sets up in about 10 minutes. While waiting for that I tuck the lips and nostrils. Start on the eyes. By then it is hard and I can finish up the ears and sew it up.

Exterminater likes this.
  4. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

If you want to do the mache ahead of time, lay a piece of plastic shopping bag under the skull cap beforehand.

aewalsh likes this.
  5. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Whenever I screw cap down over dried mache it cracks. Drill out mache to skull then fill with clay.

6. GWebb

GWebb Active Member

Use your Bondo and get the placement of your skull cap correct. After it hardens, take and drill out your holes for your three screws. I countersink mine a bit in the skull plate on the front two. Screw the skull plate down then back the screws out until they are above where your mache will be. Rebuild everything with the mache as you need and let it set up. Remove your screws once it has set up hard and then re-drill your holes back down to the skull cap. Once you take and attach the skull plate when you are ready to mount you can fill the holes with clay.

7. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Why not just put the cape on the form and then set your antlers, test fit, bondo, quick set mache, then finish mounting? Just another technique I guess.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I use Bondo to set the antlers. Any remaining filler is potters clay.

Cory likes this.
  9. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

“I use Bondo to set the antlers. Any remaining filler is potters clay.” - Joeym
    X2

10. I normally spray Pam cooking oil on my form ( under skull cape) set my antlers with bondo, then pop em off. I’ll then tuck lips and set nose and eyes. I then go back and screw the antlers down and sclupt the cap with plaster. After the plaster dries I form my ear butts and sew up.
    I used to set my antlers first. Finally figured I wasn’t having to maneuver around the antlers near as much by making them the last step in my process.

11. pat8228

pat8228 New Member

I use bondo also. I think it is a little stronger than paper mache. Since most customers will carry it around by the antlers, I want it to be as strong as possible. Just my opinion.

12. Jasboj

Jasboj New Member

One thing I've done is take a plastic straw that fits the head of your screw. Cut straw about 4" long and slide over screws. Bondo or mache your scull plate in and pull straws. Now you can easily get back to your screw heads and if desirable you can do all this without cape on form.