1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

formic / safety acid

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by HAZMAT, Jan 19, 2018.

1. HAZMAT

HAZMAT Member

SC
    Got a question. Can formic and safety acid be mixed. I was mixing a pickle with formic and don't have enough. I have enough safety acid to add to it. Just wondering if it would work and safe. I don't won't to waste anything

2. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Yes it is perfectly fine.. Done it..

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

My question is,why not just add water. The pH of formic acid is 2 while Safety Acid has a 1. That being the case, adding a less acidic acid to an existing one simply dilutes the mixture. I doubt there'd be any problems as such but Mr. Wizard kits can prove to be quite expensive.

4. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Go to your local Grocery Store and buy some cheap White Vinegar (it's an Acid) and add it to your Formic Acid solution mix. Get 2 or 3 Gallons of it. If anything it will bring your mixture down to at least a 2.5 pH (used by itself for a Pickle) - and protect your pickled skins. It contains Acetic Acid. Adding the Safety Acid, if you have already ordered it - will work but again at the higher price for it, you will have add quite a bit - the White Vinegar is cheap but you still might have to add quite a bit to your Formic Acid Solution already mixed to reach the required pH of your Pickle. A 2.0 pH or less.

5. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Yes, you can safely add safety acid to a formic acid pickle to lower the pH.

George, you have to check your chemistry on this one. Formic acid is classified as a weak acid by scientific standards. It has several protons to donate to solution but is unwilling to give up the second one easily. Safety acid, on the other hand, forms a relatively stronger acid when added to water. It gives up protons more readily so it'll drop the pH below that of safety acid. Just a little safety acid will bring the pH down just fine.

skinner26 likes this.