1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dyeing Feathers?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RichMO, Jan 20, 2018.

1. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

So has anyone dyed feathers... I have never seen a Melanistic pheasant with decent tail feathers. It is easy to get good ringneck tail feathers and was wonder if anyone has or attempted to dye them.... If so please let me know what and how you did it and what with... Thanks

2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

best for just a tail would be "just for men"....works great with no residue

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

oh and use a sponge paintbrush....not the bristle brush it comes with

4. Fowlweatherfowler dyed a ruddy duck years ago that i thought looked awesome. might try hitting Josh up on how he did that.

5. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

There was another taxi that dyed a ruddy duck several years ago.
    He posted how he dyed his. In my old age, his name slips my mind. It will come to me . . .o_O (Maybe one of younger guys will remember who he is. He was from Georgia (?) or one of those southern states. He had a yeller lab that was in a bunch of his bird photos. He posted a lot of his work in the thread of what is on your workbench.) It is great getting older . . .

6. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

I was wondering on if hair dye would work... Here's what I'm trying to do... For the most part every Melanistic pheasant I get has a tail that looks like crap. So the thought is to take a regular tail and dye it..??? sounds simple...NOT

7. i think "HOSS" is who you're thinking of. He has some youtube videos out there too. One of them might've been dyeing a ruddy duck now that i think of it.

bucksnort10 likes this.
  8. Lyn Joyce

Lyn Joyce Paleoartist

I like the Ion Brilliance cream from Sally's Beauty Supply when I dye feathers.
    You can't just use a gray dye though or you'll get dark yellow-brown, you have to cancel out the yellow. Maybe a light or medium purple would do the job?

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Haha. Getting beauty products when your a guy has its moments. I was at the store and a lady that works there recognizes me and asks what I’m looking for. I said eyelashes. Really???
    I then had to explain that I’m a taxidermist.

10. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

It was him.
    Thanks Jason