1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

" I just want to help"

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by mrdux, Aug 2, 2007.

1. mrdux

mrdux Member

I spent 2 hours today repairing damage to a cape. My Dad is in his 70s but in good health. He comes by my studio almost daily and we talk, drink coffee, argue, whatever. He's always wanting to help me out. Last deer season I was swamped and he wanted to help me cape out some deer and learn how to turn them.He has watched me cape and turn several times. I have bought a couple of beginner videos to show him how to turn the ears, split lips, etc. He has the ear turning down pretty pat. The rest leaves a lot to be desired. Today when I got a cape out to rehydrate it, I thought what the heck is this? Then I realized it was a cape he had decided to turn and split. Oh well, it just took a couple of hours to rebuild the front corners of each eye and sew up the lips. He has good intentions but it looks like I'm going to have to find him something else around the shop to do. I enjoy his company and know the day will come that I'll wish he was still here so he could hack up a cape. Anybody else get any unwanted or unneeded help around the shop?

2. for me most help tends to be unwanted but very needed.
    I am a perfectionist and it kills me to watch other people work.
    I find i spend more time watching them wondering why they are doing it that way ,or if they could work any SLOWER!
    Its more of a distraction then help.
    My wife helps me sometimes with large molds, she is the only other person I trust helping me.
    She is a fantastic artist and i actually enjoy watching her work.
    Ive had other volunteers however that i wanted to Konk on the head and throw in a freezer :) lol

3. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

Yes, from my husband.
    He was helping with fleshing/shaving water buffalo and while I'd rather pay the 450 and send them out, he wants to save 'me' money by doing it himself. I simply couldnt watch. All I can think about now is the repair time thats going to be needed when I get round to them.
    But, if I ever say anything, its arguement time and then he wont help when I DO need it. ::)

4. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

JKnuth----you took the words right out of my mouth. I can trust a couple others but the wife is definitely my shop saviour. sometimes I think I depend a bit to much on her.

Doug--I know what you mean but I remind myself that someday I will miss those bloopers.

5. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Dux, get some extra capes that you'll not need and keep Dad busy right next to you as long as you can. You were right in saying the day will come when you'll no longer have him. Trust me, you won't. Memories are made of this!

6. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Oh, boy, do I ever know one.
    When we were building the shop and getting ready to put the hole in for the a/c, he just about quit. It's MY shop and I didn't want that thing smack dab in the middle of my BIG wall where elk were to be hung. Anyway, I thought I was going to get to finish it myself (but it's not in the middle of the wall, LOL)

7. We have this ALOT friends want to learn and help out. BUT most of the time they are in the way. Our shop is small enough as it is and they mostly want to sit around and talk with the hubby which slows him down.And when you do get them doing something like skinning off heads during season you cant count on them to show up. So we have decided no more HELP from anyone.

And girls I know about the 'arguements' 1. I cant stop my perfectionist hubby from 'fixing' my mounts he just has to move a pin here or tuck something there. 2. I HATE when he checks an animal in the paperwork is NEVER filled out right. AND the TV thing drives my crazy why oh why must we watch (listen) to sports all the Freaking TIME!!

Oh well I feel better now!!

Kim

8. Geno

Geno New Member

All be thankful while you got em.When Dad died so did my race engines.When ex opted out I quit Taxidermy for awhile because she was of great help.I miss dad every day and I miss her help.Wonder if she rides in his patrol car and helps him.LOL