1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beetle Cleaning question

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by marlin3030, Jan 24, 2018.

1. marlin3030

marlin3030 New Member

Hey folks, I was wondering what you guys that have beetles set your skulls on to let the beetles work. I seem to remember seeing that some people put them on plywood so they don't sink or something to that effect.

I have been placing them directly on the substrate. I use the care fresh pet bedding, but it seems to stick really bad on the bottom and I'm wondering if it keeps the beetles from being able to get to the skull on the underside.

For instance I put in a deer head two days ago and for the most part the top is clean but when i picked it up the substrate was kind of "caked" on the bottom so i knocked it off and layed it on it's side.

Just wondering if I would benefit from putting some sort of platform in there? Thanks in advance!

2. Rob

Rob Member

I put a plastic plate or lid, that is large enough for the skull to be placed on top of the substrate, lay the deer skull on top. Works great for me.

Chippers likes this.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I set them on bricks. The goo doesn't get down into the substrate, it settles on the brick, and they consume it.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I use shredded newspaper. It's free and costs me only the time to run it through the shredder. I set the skulls on corrugated cardboard. Also free and the beetles and larva like hiding in the tunnels between the layers. Eventually it just gets chewed away and I put in another piece. Setting the skulls and skeletons on something like this allows me to better monitor what is going on and I can watch for small pieces coming loose and stop them from getting dragged away.