1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Higher Volume Peroxide

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by sbane01, Jan 25, 2018.

1. sbane01

sbane01 New Member

Can someone update me on the 27% Peroxide or the Chemical Folks are using from A Pool Supplier? Been reading around but dont know exactly what it is called or even if it works. Always looking for Tips. Thanks

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Possibly, searching the old forums for info has to be done differently. I haven't tried the Search function yet. Ask at any place that services pools and spas or sells supplies for them. There are probably more brands than the few I have seen discussed on here. Two I can think of are Baquacil Oxidizer (called BO on here for short) and Pool Mate. It is 27% peroxide that is used to "shock" non chlorinated pools. You might just want to ask for it or whatever they use. The label will tell you what the ingredients are and it needs to say Hydrogen Peroxide! Do not accept any other type or combination of chemicals. Specify that you need the peroxide shock for non chlorinated water. If they ask why you need it, might want to say that you have a spa and this is what you are using and want to stay with the same stuff. A couple I know have been denied purchase of the stuff because they said they were whitening skulls with it. One found it creepy and another just said it was an unauthorized use and refused to sell it to someone.

3. yup that's stuff like sea wolf said. also if you don't want to soak your skulls straight in the peroxide go to sallys beauty supply and pickup a product called BW2 powder. add that to your baqaucil and mix to make a cream to paint onto your skull. by the way the new search function is a PITA. only searches for a few words out of a title you are searching for so makes it difficult to find what you are searching for.

4. J7

J7 Member

Wow! What a difference and similarities in stores and community. One pool and spa store in our area said they don't carry any hydrogen peroxide and their attitude towards me was like I asked to wed their teenage daughter. Another store in our area buys extra just for people whitening skulls. First(only) time I went there and told them what I was using it for they said "We have lots of it and people tell us it works great". Call several places before hand and get a feel for it.

5. Sea Wolf

Have to agree that it's a bit different. There is an Advanced Search there but it takes some getting used to. You can also now search for tags. I added "maceration tutorial" tags to a couple of my posts. I found some older ones that I missed before and it does seem that, though I can edit the title, I can no longer edit the posts themselves .. and this includes re adding the pictures that have been lost. :(

6. sbane01

sbane01 New Member

Thank You All so much. Sea Wolf i have used alot of your help in my small business and you havent steered me wrong yet. ((Ha)) I just didnt know what it was called Exactly. I live in the south and its time to get some skulls done. I will give this a Try.

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Baquacil "Oxidizer" is one product you can use. It is 27% H2O2

8. Sea Wolf

Be very aware that you have crossed the line of safe to handle if you start using that (or anything above this strength). Do NOT allow this to get on you. You will regret it. Can't stress enough to use goggles or eye protection when handling it. If you splash even a drop of this into your eye you will be permanently blinded. Always keep covered and never let kids or pets anywhere near it. The stuff works great and is almost exclusively what I use. I use it for submerged soaking as well as pasting with no issues. Handle it safely.

9. sbane01

sbane01 New Member

Thank You very much Sea Wolf and i fully understand your safety warnings.

10. sbane01

sbane01 New Member

Baquacil will deliver tomorrow. Pool Store was giving me a Hard time so i just ordered online.;) Next Question: I can mix this with BW power to form a paste also? Right?

11. yup yup

12. make your paste, coat your skull, cover skull in plastic. when paste turns powderish brush it off and wash your skull. I like to stick my skull out in the sun while the paste is doing its thing. a small amount of warmth seems to help it react faster.

13. Sea Wolf

Paste away. Works great with Basic White. Wrap with plastic to keep it from drying out too fast. Get it into a really warm area, under a heat lamp, in front of an electric heater etc and turn it once in a while so all sides get warmed up evenly. A little heat gets the paste to work even better. If you go to soak something submerged in it though, don't heat it.

14. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I make the paste using Magnesium carbonate (rather than Basic White) available from McKenzie

15. WeirdAdam

WeirdAdam New Member

I get my peroxide from the Amish family here in Iowa $9 a gal. And it's 35 percent

16. Sea Wolf

35% will work but you now also have something that can start a fire if you spill it on wood. The higher the percent the more dangerous it is.

17. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

I sure you guys will correct me if I am wrong. I have used 100's of gallons of Baquacil before I started buying 55 gallon drums of 35% but I remember that Baquacil was 27% volume? H2o2 is sold in volume not the actual percentage of hydrogen peroxide. What you buy from a Chemical Plant and buy from a Retailer is different. The charts/conversion was available on here before by a resident Chemist. Best I recall 30-volume has 9.09% hydrogen peroxide in its solution. 40-volume = 12.12%; 20-volume = 6.06%; etc.

18. Sea Wolf

Yep. You are correct. 27% starts getting touchy where safety is concerned. Even that will permanently blind you. I have personally seen wood start burning (pallets) when 35% got spilled on it. Could be because the wood was a bit punky to start with but the reaction got hot enough to start smouldering. Just as new mulch can self ignite.

19. I
    recently found out they sell 50 volume which is 15% I believe. I have a hard time getting chemicals and 35% is 44.00 per gal. And can’t find anybody that sells BO

20. Sea Wolf

Baquacil and the other pool ones are indeed 12%. The hair care stuff is in volume for some reason. I am researching the new Clorox bleach that is peroxide. Comes in a gold colored gallon jug. Worked great on the wooden deck. Still waiting on a reply from the company to find out what percentage it is. Right now, it seems to be just H2O2 and no other additives.

MSDS sheet says it is %1-5 ?? Whatever that means. Is that a 15% or a percentage that is anyones guess between 1 and 5? 3% you put on cuts so 5% would not impress me at all. Stuff foams up on the wood deck like it's a lot stronger though.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    BearBonz likes this.