1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Yearly income

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by boarhunter67, Jan 26, 2018.

1. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I see on here very often people wanting to get into taxidermy asking what the average income is and what the average expenses are. I also see other posts about people saying they can’t raise their prices because they didn’t go out of business because they wouldn’t get customers. I’m only part time and have the luxury of not relying on Taxiderm as my sole income. With that said I thought I would post but my experience has been and see how it compares with others. Last year I took in just over $48,000. After all my expenses My profit was between $22,000-26000 depending on how I counted. This year I raised my prices of deer to $700 and bobcat to $1100 and other animals similarly. I took him less business. The total amount I took in was $64,590. My total costs amounted to $25,889.20. I paid a skinner $5600. This leaves me with $33,001.80. I would say for most people getting into taxidermy to expect a high percentage of expenses. I’ve heard some people Who estimate the cost to mail a deer as under $100 but to me that’s just not realistic because I don’t think they are counting everything. So let me ask those of you who truly count all your expenses is this about the percentage that you see? I do count every single expense and I do usually go with higher end products. Secondly, for those of you Who are afraid to raise your prices and they’re still charging three and $50 for deer for the same amount you charge to 20 or 30 years ago, don’t be afraid to push the envelope. OK let the thrashing begin.

aewalsh likes this.
  2. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I've referred your post the the IRS, LOL! You won't get a lot of relevant information since most people don't have any idea what their true net income really is. My son and I do a tremendous amount of work. It takes a big pile of dead critters to reach the six-figure level, but to make a living in taxidermy, that's a minimum gross income.
    We raise prices every year, and continue to take in a phenomenal amount of work. As I get closer to social security, I'm slowly backing away, and letting him have the work and earn the income. We concentrate more on cash flow than making a profit. I spend an hour of so daily just on record keeping. I developed an Excel Spreadsheet several years ago to know where we are at any particular point in time.

boarhunter67 likes this.

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I believe (my opinion only) that most part timers are dumber than dust! They seem to feel that since they have a full time income they don't need to charge as much as a regular shop. As I have said in the past, a part timer should be charging more than a full timer shop since doing taxidermy after regular work hours and weekends it is like over time for them, but what do I know!

CAB and aewalsh like this.
  4. Terry Bennett

Terry Bennett Active Member

Idaho
    Wait, you're supposed to make a profit?

Countryisfun and 3bears like this.
  5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I do report my income and pay city, state, and federal taxes.

6. Countryisfun

Countryisfun Member

Midwest
    haha, I feel like that some days