1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Casting fish to create foam body instead of carving

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Goettler, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Goettler

Goettler New Member

anyone here ever do it? I’ve heard about it. it seems like it would work great.. I hate carving haha, takes me forever!

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

and you think casting and making a foam mold is going to be easier and quicker HAHA
    Stick to carving once you get the hang of it , you'll be able to do it in 20 minutes. It'll take that long to just skin and get the bedding ready then having to pour a slur coat on first, let that set then another coat on that, the flip and redo. Hmmmm yep carving sounds quicker

3. Goettler

Goettler New Member

Well I’m not worried about it being any faster nor did I say it would be any easier.. Just was wondering who’s all done it.

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I've done it. Works fine, but I wouldn't recommend it for commercial work.

5. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Heres a link

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,88696.0.html

Do it for odd species. Doesn't take all that much time unless you're just going to stand there and wait through the whole process. I hate carving as well. I wish I was better at it but the mess it makes and the fact I have the finesse of a caveman makes it a chore.

6. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

There is no way I would do that. Get better at carving and then you'll see why. I agree with Frank. Carving even for an odd shaped mount will be quicker and easier. Good luck...JL

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  7. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I have used my silicon molds and casts foam bodies. I have also placed fish in bedding and places plastic wrap over it and made a 2 pieice mold out of 2 part foam them used vaseline on the mold to cast a body out of the same foam

JHardman and Kerby Ross like this.
  8. JHardman

JHardman Active Member

Wow, I have thought of trying this before just never actually tried it; did you have much trouble with the heat from the foam ruining the skin?

9. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

no

10. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

It usually requires a fairly tight mold and tight clamping to produce an adequate density to make a decent foam body. I don't know why you'd want to doink around positioning a fish, bedding a fish etc when you can produce a nice body in under 1/2 hr by carving. Learn to carve bodies and you will get quicker as you develop some skills. Carve the body before skinning the fish as all the reference you need is right there in front of you.

11. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I've spending my days carving foam perch bodies....LOTS of perch. They are all very close in size. I am one who REALLY dislikes carving and the thoughts of having a mold of a form that I could pull more foam forms from sounds mighty interesting. Rather than mold a fish, would it be possible to make a mold of one FOAM FORM that I carved, and then pull many more foam bodies from that mold?

12. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Sure that is doable, seal the form and make a mold of it as long as you carved it originally.

13. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

here are a couple

Attached Files:

14. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

next

Attached Files:

15. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

brown

Attached Files:

16. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    duxdog it looks like it probably takes as long to clean those up as it does to carve one, is that true? It sure must take longer if you add in the time for making of the mold and then pouring a cast.

17. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

i would say it takes longer to do of course. but prep is very minimal and it is a perfect fit

18. JRtaxidermist

JRtaxidermist Member

I feel like you would lose a bunch of your live fish features by molding and casting a dead fish. At least with carving a body you can put all those details back in.

19. DFJ

DFJ Active Member

Perfect response JR !!

20. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I would tend to dissagree.

Cecil likes this.