1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Javalina Skull degreasing?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by WackyBonesTaxidermy, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Can anyone give me a approx. amount of time for a Javalina to be degreased in heated dawn and water? Just need a approx. of course I know till its done. But I don't know how greasy they are and I have 3 to do. Thanks Jake

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I've done one. Greasy little bastard too. Leave it for at good while. With water changes once a week to start if needed. Make sure it is heated to 115 degrees 24/7. Here is a post I did with one a ways back. I just found it and put the pictures back. https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/78835/

3. Skulltastic

Skulltastic Member

If u can do this to avoid the fumes i would highly suggest using a 95% water and 5% ammonia ratio mix. Ive found that it simply PUMPS grease out of deer and bear, and im thinking a javalina would be similar to a bear. ive pretty much abandoned the dawn water thing. Maybe for the first change or 2 but other than that (to get the initial funk out) i find it to work slow and often incompletly on greasy skulls. Infact try one skull with just the ammonia and water and the others in dawn, post your findings. I havent had NEAR the skull experience as sea wolf but in my limited experience ammonia works very well. Also you can see large chunks of fat just float out of the skulls and also see what looks like mushrooms growing all over the skull as the fat finds its way out! Once i see no more fat activity i give it another 2 weeks to be sure and i havent yet seen any grease re-emerge. If u let the water be still for a couple days in the final stages, all the fat will settle to the bottom and the solution above it will be clear and ready for reuse.​

harriekat likes this.
  4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Yep. 10% ammonia is still a go to here as well. Just Dawn is cheaper and for a lot of things works good. Ammonia gets used on some bears, hogs, some coons and the occasional greasy cougar. Many times, like with the peccary I did, ammonia is mixed in with the Dawn solution. And I ended up using it straight for the lower jaw anyway. If ammonia didn't have the ferocious fumes it has I would probably end up using more of it. The draft horse I did was literally dripping oil out of it when I got it. I submerged it in straight ammonia in a trash barrel and walked away for about 6 months. A hot water rinse and peroxide was all it needed and no grease showing yet after several years now. Ammonia also made a huge difference in an ancient Russian brown bear skull I got. Had been boiled and just stuck on a mantle for over 50 years. Was crusted with grime, soot and petrified grease. Again, months in ammonia, made a huge difference. Ammonia also can't be used around a lot of metals, especially galvanized containers. Bad reactions happen there.

harriekat likes this.
  5. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

Takes about as long as a similar sized pig, bey they sure give off the most bizarre musk, perfume, rot smell during maceration.