1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rabbit skull bone ID

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Caitlin NZ, Jan 31, 2018.

1. I've cleaned and articulated a bunch of rabbit skulls, and there's two types of bones that some, but not all, of my skulls have that I can't identify.

The first type is a pair that I think might be the lacrimal bones, but I don't know how they fit into the eye socket:

27605555_10210958572982604_715088793_o.jpg

27603953_10210958573062606_304554043_o.jpg

The second is a single, symmetrical bone that's very latticed and kind of saddle-shaped:

27604314_10210958573102607_468283052_o.jpg

The photos were taken very quickly and shoddily with my phone camera, but I can try for better ones if anyone wants a closer look - hopefully these are enough to jog someone's memory?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have yet to have loose parts off of a rabbit but the top set also looks like bits I have had loosen up from inside the braincase. If you have other rabbit skulls, have you gone over them with a fine toothed comb to see if any parts look like a match or any areas that look different between one that is complete and the one that has the odd bits?

Randy likes this.

3. Yeah, I've compared a couple of skulls closely with each other, but I'm not 100% sure which ones have these and which ones don't. I've got one skull that's a bit mangled - I might cut the braincase of that one open to have a closer look at the inside.

4. Wouter

Wouter Member

Hi Caitlin,

The bones in your first picture are indeed lacrimals. I just put some of those back in a hare skull I cleaned, but I cannot show you a picture because I cannot downsize them enough for this forum. If you PM me your Email adress I'll send you a picture directly. The other bone may come from inside the brain case, but it could also be a part of the last vertebra that came with the skull when the head was cut off.

Wouter

5. Sea Wolf

Wouter, it will be a real loss on here if we can't see your amazing pictures. The site I am using now is postimage.org It is a free site and you can upload your larger scaled pictures and put links here and the pictures work great.

6. Wouter

Wouter Member

Thanks for the advice |Seawolf, I'll check it out. I made plenty of new skulls and skeletons of fish and birds and I would love to share them here. I had a online photoalbum for a while (not Photobucket) but after a month or two I could no longer acces it so it was worthless. I hope the one you suggested will be more reliable.

Wouter

7. Sea Wolf

8. Wouter

Wouter Member

I made a Postimage photoalbum, let's try to post a picture of a rabbit lacrimal here:

[​IMG]

9. Wouter

Wouter Member

Looks like this really works. Thanks for the advice Seawolf!

Wouter