1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help with ram horn

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by BabyGirl, Feb 1, 2018.

1. BabyGirl

BabyGirl Member

I have always macerated my ram skulls to get the horns off, and for some reason I have had one horn on a skull that would not come off no matter how much I pulled or pried with tools. Upon closer inspection there was a damaged area on the horn that went all the way to the core and seems to be dried out and stuck in that area and that is why it won't come off. Any suggestions as to how to get this thing off so I can continue the maceration process of my skull?

Attached Files:

2. saddletramp501

saddletramp501 Member

take a demerl tool and a cutting blade and work it under the horn and saw it there

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Make sure you can run a thin knife (filet type) up under the horn all the way around the base and you have cut through all the membrane. DO NOT CUT YOURSELF!! .. Get a rubber mallet and literally bash the crap out of the horn hitting hard all around the base area and around the area of damage. Twist the horn and try to rotate it off as you do. That might loosen it up. Hit it in the direction it should go. If no success you might have to let it macerate a while longer. Take a drill and drill a couple of holes through the horn and into the core to let water in. Preferably on the back side where the holes will not be seen later.

4. BabyGirl

BabyGirl Member

Thanks guys! I finally got it!

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I just mounted a lechwe that I had macerated. Never did get the horns off. After a couple mounts of drying, nobstink, so I mounted it