1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Month in Fish Pictures "Year 11" February Edition 2018!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

The Month in Fish Pictures "Year 11" February Edition 2018!!!!!!!

A Warm welcome from Hinsdale New Hampshire!! Flash back February!!!!! Let’s see some of the photos of your work that got you started! We all begin fish taxidermy or fish carving with the first steps of trial and error, or instructional books, DVDs or workshops! However, you began your inspired journey in to the art of fish works let’s see how you started your passion!!

February is here, and before you know it the leaves will bud the birds will sing and you will be working on a fish that you always wanted to work on! We all start somewhere and so it is that each day you can learn something new take that leap! Try new things and go out and make new challenges for yourself!

A huge thanks to the countless contributors and to the many great folks who share in this great tradition that has been around for over a decade It is very true that we all begin somewhere and all the learning and work hard that goes in to the pursuit at being is what makes us the taxidermists we become

This tradition of the Month in Fish Pictures has always has been a spot on the taxidermy.net where folks can and do come to show their work without criticism and hard comments! So, let’s remember to always keep it that way. As the moderator of this section I do not get too involved with censorship not do I ever want too. So be respectful of all and remember we all have a long way to go and should be enjoying the processes!

The month in January was a great month for truly inspiring photos so let’s continue the contributions! Thanks to all the friends sharing their gifts and talents! I took some time during the day week to see all the great looking at some truly inspiring works of fish art!

Inspiration in what we share is part of the friendliness and positive observations of fans of fish work. This is a great place to start in upward in direction of inspiration other with your work regardless of your skill level as a fish taxidermist or fishcarver!

Be thankful for your gifts of great passion and talent as an artist! It is a blessing to me for our lives to be joined from time to time to share and learn from one another so thank you for your great taxidermy work and your lives continue to be blessed with inspiration!!!!

I want to say thank you for join me each month for each installment of the Month in Fish Pictures to share in your successes and accomplishments! I have seen first-hand the great strides so many have made with beautiful fish work! Good for you and congratulations on your hard work!!!!

I want to also thank all the great contributors who not only share their personal great talents and work but also rather give such positive inspiration to all of us!

From beginners to the best in the world we all join in every month in a critique free and hassle free string with nothing more than great artist and inspiring fish taxidermist and carves get together to share with one another their praise and inspiration of good will and friendship to one another. No egos just friendly folks who appreciate the efforts of others!

I want to start the month of February with this old fishheads attempts at fish taxidermy! Share your work as we all need to be inspired!

Be safe and be kind to one another!

You're Friend

Rick Krane

aabb.jpg

Brian W, FishlanDan, Lance.G and 7 others like this.
  2. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

20151223_113915.jpg 2004 . I was 17 . This was the first one I was able to skin out without ruining it, so to speak. Also painted it in the garage and got overspray all over my mom's new van. Whoopsie Daisy.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2018

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Picture was taken in 1979 and I mounted bass on the wall a few years before that (40 years ago). In fact the "gloss" was a fish glaze that Van Dyke's sold in a small bottle that you hand brushed on.

:)

Kerby...

[​IMG]

Brian W, Cory and Sotired like this.
  4. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Kansas
    IMG_20170213_074904.jpg Looks familiar Kerby. Circa late 80's. No airbrush, jacked jaw, flagging fins, etc......We all start somewhere. The location of this fish will remain undisclosed

Attached Files:

Sotired and Kerby Ross like this.
  5. lapoisse

lapoisse Member

France
    my first pike catche, then mount, in 1984, that's when the taxidermy virus took me
    [​IMG]

Sotired and Cory like this.
  6. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Here's my circa 1977! Joe Lake Trout 1975.jpg

Jkostella, Sotired and Cory like this.
  7. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Kansas
    IMG_20180202_150006-01.jpeg IMG_20180202_150017.jpg IMG_20180202_150019.jpg Working on a nice KS crappie.

Brian W, bennie, Jkostella and 8 others like this.
  8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

No way no how you guys are getting to see my early work! The truth is I never took pictures and I'm glad I didn't. But here's me in 77' when I was a singer in a rock n roll band and studying fisheries science at a Michigan college.

Funny story to go with the picture: On one of the visits to the lead guitarist's parent's lake house on Grand Lake, Michigan we took the boat out and trolled with rapalas. Caught a nice mess of smallmouth and his mom made a great fish dinner. (She was an awesome cook). Anyway, found out a week or two later in fisheries class smallmouth season wasn't even in yet. Whoops!

[​IMG]

Brian W and Sotired like this.
  9. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Brian W and Cory like this.
  10. Mudbat

Mudbat Active Member

3D26799C-EDDB-48D8-939E-CAA044008435.jpeg FD59F3A3-155A-421A-98B5-7DD93B6EECE2.jpeg First fish I got paid to do.
    Made a big 100 dollars and got a old TC muzzloader for it.
    Saw the fish the other day and wanted to redo it sooooo bad

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

That's better than the average fish work out there Mudbat.

And give me a break. There's nothing wrong with that fish.

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Ha Ha! I got run out of the house on the first fish I painted as I was using lacquer and my mom was screaming the smell was awful. So got banished to the garage with no heat so had to put the clear coated fish in my car with the heat on to get the clear coat to set up.

FishArt likes this.
  13. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Cecil, I glossed a fish outside a few days ago with the temps in the single digits! The only issue was the gloss was very runny and I had a few drips I had to roll off. But, other than that the gloss coat was fine! Yes Mudbat, that's one nice looking paint job!

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

It actually set up in those temps?

FishArt likes this.
  15. Sarmite

Sarmite Active Member

LV
    Hello in February!
    I would like to share my really first work on artificial teeth - it was open mouth pike replica which i made last year for Italian customer. So - i used wooden toothpicks + Fin magic (for make tissue/slime like effect between teeth) . Step by step, tooth by tooth. Really happy about result.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Brian W, FishlanDan, hodx and 5 others like this.
  16. This is my first ,the old John Rinehart sock method. 15178723073781557430182.jpg 15178723073781557430182.jpg 15178723073781557430182.jpg

Cecil likes this.
  17. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Yep. Things were a bit runny at first, but rolling the fish a few times solved that letting any excess to drip off and to even the gloss throughout. Then I bring the glossed or sealed fish inside my shop where it's warmer to dry. I've been glossing outside in cold weather for 20 years with no problems but never quite this cold! I think it's more important that the can and fish are both warm than any concerns of outside temps. Not much concern for humidity either when it's this cold - lol. Humidity in the summer on the otherhand I need to choose which days I can gloss otherwise risk clouding.

Cecil likes this.
  18. Lance.G

Lance.G Member

Here is my first fish on my own. A little tube skinned brook. Thanks Rick Krane for the workshop! I’m in the process of working on a crappie now.

Attached Files:

19. Early 80's, 3-1/2 pounds. Fill method, Trans-La-Tex, brush and Miller air brush. SNEIDER'S LM.JPG

20. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I don't have issues with humidity in the house in the summer as I have climate control which is a geothermal system.