1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ironing fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 650V, Feb 1, 2018.

1. 650V

650V New Member

At what point do you guys run a hot iron over your fish? Right after mounting it or while it’s wet, or when it’s all dry?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    What do you mean? It isn't a dress shirt or slacks. If you mean to push unruly scales down? I use a spoon and a torch to do it after the fish is dry and before I seal it. Heat the spoon up and go over the area of unruly scales and push them down, but don't leave it in one spot too long.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Same deal here 3Bears, but I use a butter knife. Definitely move it around as you can crisp up a scale or two if you don't. I've done it after sealing but only because I missed laying some scales down. Doing after sealing melts your gloss/sealer into a gummy mess. Easily cleaned up via light sanding with some 100 grit. But, do it BEFORE sealing and no worries! P.S. Use an old butter knife, NOT your wife's good silverware!

4. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Kansas
    Or, if the scale is lifted and won't go down with just heat; add bit of superglue under the scale using a t-pin or similar, then when you press on the scale (not too long) the scale is assured to not ever lift again, IMO.

Ken 2 and 1stturkey like this.
  5. After the fis is dry, if there are raised scales. I put a bit od medium thickness super glue and touch it with the hot iron..

Ken 2 likes this.
  6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I use a clothes iron and super glue. I've never had luck with just heat.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Ken 2 likes this.
  7. Was that spoken from experience? Lol I am sorry I just found that very funny.

FishArt likes this.
  8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

There are some very interesting tools in my wife's kitchen but I could suffer some serious damage if I use anymore. I will tell you the wife was not amused once with a squirrel thawing in the fridge or a coyote in the bathtub!

Countryisfun likes this.
  9. 650V

650V New Member

Thanks for the info. I was judged at a show and got dinged for raised scales. The judge told me he irons all his fish before they go out the door. I just failed to ask him WHEN he did it.

Kerby Ross likes this.
  10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Just in case you didn't know this 650V, before you seal your fish before painting sight down your fish like a rifle barrel holding you fish up to a light to see any raised scales. I also pull up "wannabe raised scales" with a 'T' pin and glue those down too.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Cory likes this.
  11. FishArt

Well, thank you - just joking though! I bought a bunch of old silverware at garage sales early on and am set for life for all sorts of stirring, mixing and laying down scales.

As Cecil mentioned, sometimes ironing doesn't fully work or work at all on some scales. Then, I too do the superglue on a toothpick method. No heat needed after the SG. In fact, be careful heating around SG as the fumes if heated are toxic...

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm a hot guy Marty. I've never been able to lay down the scales without the heat along with the superglue.

Yep one of the ingredients in super glue is cyanide. Heating it produces cyanide gas. The thing is to keep your eyes and nose away from the fumes when you heat! I've had the fumes in my eyes and it hurts like hell! Still here though but maybe a little brain damaged. :p I now turn my head.

You need to dub off the excess superglue before the heat. Do you do that?

13. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Sort of off topic but hair straighteners do wonders on fins....sssssh!

Cecil and FishArt like this.
  14. FishArt

Cecil, I have never NOT been able to get most scales to lay down with just heat - lol. It's usually the ones that are up pretty high and probably the most stressed that give me problems with heat only. You have to press pretty hard to get results with just heat btw. Maybe try pushing harder as you move your "iron"? My butter knife bends 10 degrees or more when I'm done ironing with some fish! My order of events starts with the torch and butter knife. On average I'd say this usually takes care of 90-95% of the culprits (We're only talking a half dozen or so scales with issues usually). Then, I just come back with SG and a toothpick and apply the dab under the scale via toothpick. Then I take a paper towel immediately and both push down and wipe at the same time. Flip the paper towel over for a clean side and hold things down for 30 seconds or so. Soometimes I have to repeat, but that's it. My guess is in these situations (where I have to repeat) the SG under the scale has already dried. And that's probably where your heat comes in to play vs. re-applying more SG (guessing).

15. FishArt

Jim, from one bald guy to another, what else you gonna use a hair straightener for> your back hair? ;) lol!

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm not bald yet Marty but I sure have the back hair too! Good grief it's like I'm a gorilla!

FishArt likes this.
  17. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Well it's the wife's hair straightener so.....:D

FishArt likes this.
  18. FishArt

Yeah, but that didn't quite fit with my joke Jim - ha!