1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Velvet Question.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mopsrdrawer67, Feb 3, 2018.

1. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

Yeah, yeah,another velvet question but here it goes.
    I have never been completely happy with artificial velvet, either attempted by myself with flocking or professionally sent out, which in my opinion still looks like a flocked set of antlers (almost too perfect).
    I have tanned a few successfully in the past also (with McKenzie antler tan), but more often than not, I am not able to save them and do not want to give a customer their mount back with an 'iffy' set of antlers.
    I get a few whitetails, but even more axis deer in velvet. The axis (and others like elk, caribou etc) have longer velvet which more resembles fur.
    My question is, has anyone ever used something like a very short artificial fur to glue or otherwise to the stripped antler?
    I know this question might sound silly but I'm looking for a better way for my customers.
    Thanks, Greg.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  2. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

freeze dry is the only way use a bug repellent

3. mopsrdrawer67

mopsrdrawer67 Member

byrdman, who is a reputable freezedryer? I've got 3 sets of axis antlers. Thx.

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I soak them in denatured alcohol for a month, dry and brush. Never had a bug problem since I did the first one 30 years ago.

lrc1492 likes this.
  5. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

joey you still need to remove water or they will shrink Ken Asproth does best job on velvet but youd need to freeze and ship to him in twin cities send me a pm and will give you his tele number

6. Kastaway

Kastaway Taxidermist, Pioneer of Freeze Drying 1969

We have been freeze drying since 1962 and get a lot of Axis antlers in each year as well as really large Whitetail deer from the deer farms. We get antlers from all over the country. No substitution for experience.

7. Kastaway

Kastaway Taxidermist, Pioneer of Freeze Drying 1969

Image_546.jpg

Attached Files: