1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

need some help please.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by after the shot, Aug 3, 2007.

1. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

I had a customer bring me 2 older rugs. One is an arctic fox and the other is an arctic wolf that belonged to his father while he was patroling the Inuits in Canada. The customer doesnt have much more info other than that they were mounted and rugged 40+ years ago. There is no padding only a fabric backing and felt border. They are quite musty smelling and the fabric stinks and is stained as if water damaged. I feel that rerugging would be the answer to the fabric issue but could I wash the furs? I am not sure of the tanning method that was used so I am a little worried about soaking them down and washing . He also wants all the options including remounting the heads and having them rerugged w/ padding. do you feel that I could rehydrate and remount them? I understand that some of the info that I have is vague, but it is all that I have to go by.

2. I have the exact same delima with a bobcat and coyote.

3. He is the customer so tell him you will do what he suggests BUT, he is liable for all damges that may occur for the reasons you listed. Not knowing the type of tan, or how long ago it was done, it may totally fall apart, or it will work. You wont know till you try, and make sure he signs off on the responsibilty of it falling apart if it does. Cover your ass!

4. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Get paid for your time up front!

5. after the shot

Thanks for the input. But does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning of the fur?
    Well, they are deffinitely tanned and are still very soft and supple. I found a tear in the backing and i could see the backside of the hide. the leather is a creamy white color and has a texture to it as if it were either sanded or staked. There is a tag sewn into both of them which I didn't notice during my initial inspection. It says: DK Corbett
    Taxidermist
    Bass River N.S.
    I am going try to do some research of this taxidermist. Has anyone heard of him/her?
    Thanks again

6. Tenbears

Tenbears Member

seybrite Taxidermy cleaning kit. works pretty well. Do not soak the hide. as it will get stiff, re pad and felt you should be ably to clean them up well. to remove any oder. spritz with a 50% mix of odoban and water. allow to dry. DO NOT over do the Odoban, as it will leave a residue

7. after the shot

Darrell,
    I figured that I would post what I did on the rugs. Since my customer wanted to keep them original including the rugging I thought that it was a lost cause. I called Bruce Rittell and asked him for some advice. He suggested mixing hardwood sawdust w/ laquer thinner (not too wet) and tumble them softly in a trashbag for 10 mins. and let air dry in the shade. gently shake of the risidual dust. He said to do it 2-3 times. After that carefully blow out the rest of the dust with a compressor. The final step was to spray w/ Rittell's Kilz-Odor. The final results are outstanding. The fur is fluffy and clean and the odor is gone. I actually have to give my wife some credit. She is the one that suggested to call Bruce.

8. Thanks for the info. Bruce is a good person.