1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Artificial vs Real bird heads

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by lizzimm, Feb 4, 2018.

1. I have mostly done small/medium birds and used their own heads, actually a Hornbill too, and have used one artificial head on a Chukar. I have some pheasants I want to work on and I can’t decide if I should try to use the original head(split and clay the wattles) or use an artificial head and paint the wattles. What are the pros and cons and importantly what looks better? Is one way more legit or is it totally just preference? I think I would prefer to try to use the real head but don’t want it to look like crap. First one I am going to do is an Elliot’s pheasant then down the road I have an Amherst.

Thanks!! Liz

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I use artificial heads on most every bird, except turkey, that's freeze dried, whether I buy it or cast it. If it has wattles, they need to be split regardless, I believe. If there is an artificial with finished wattles as part of that, I have never used it. It would be missing all of the little feathers throughout and look goofy, I would think.

Tom Maul and lizzimm like this.

3. This helps 3bears, thank you!

4. whitetails and fish only

whitetails and fish only Well-Known Member

I have been told that flock can be used on the wattles with good results. Sounds like it could work for either method.

lizzimm likes this.
  5. I personally like the real head better. I have always found that they match better. Where as an artificial skull is typically one standard size for that species. And sometimes you get a younger smaller bird, that someone wants done. Or like in my case an "albino" turkey. (Kid shot his first turkey swore it was a wild albino turkey. Turned out a neighbor a few miles away lost one of this farm raised turkeys.) Where the artificial skulls just don't work.

lizzimm and Chippers like this.
  6. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

I would suggest you try both ways.... more than once.
    Trying something new just once really isn't giving it a fair shot imho.

lizzimm likes this.