1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Mount ( Feedback )

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Jeramy Buckles, Feb 5, 2018.

1. well one thing I noticed right away in your pictures is the hair for her ears. Those longer white hair are supposed to be inside the ear, not hanging out the bottom. As these hairs are designed by mother nature to help protect their ears from getting a whole lot of dirt and things inside their ears. Next time roll it inside the ear canal. Google whitetail deer and always use reference pictures when mounting. This can help you set your "landmark" hair patterns.

Jeramy Buckles likes this.

2. We all have to start somewhere and congrats on completing your first mount. A couple things I see for you to work on for your next mount:
    -As said above your ear hair needs to be inside the ear
    -The nose pad shouldn't be fully on the front of the forms nose, the top of the nose pad should be more on top of the forms nose bridge some. Maybe you over tucked the top lips.
    -can't see the eyes that well from the photo but they do look black on the eyelids around the glass. I would use a dark brown
    -the ears need to be thinned towards the edges, they look really thick
    -lack of ear butts, need to use more clay
    As said get as many reference pictures as you can for your next mount and use them. You will only get better and I think your off to a good start. Keep at it

3. With the nose it may not be that you overtucked the top lips too much it just appears that the nose is really flat on the front and the very top of the nose needs to blend into the bridge of the forms face better. To not look so flat and square. I'm not a judge or an expert. Just my two cents

4. Jeramy Buckles

Jeramy Buckles New Member

After looking at pics I took of her before I skinned her, yes the ears didn’t get tucked in enough. The ears I thinned out all the way to the edge. They are as thin as the ear liners allow. I didn’t like the ear liners to be honest but it was too late for that change! As for her nose I might of made it too flat and I see from the pre skinned pics that her nose pad should of been just an eighth of an inch higher to the bridge! Keep the comments coming! I have an artistic side that needed let out and butchering deer wasn’t cutting it any more! Pun intended! I’m a perfectionist and a detail oriented guy! For my first I’m very happy with it even with the rookie mistakes but only one direction from here!

Countryisfun likes this.
  5. You should be pleased with it, you set out to get it mounted and half way through it when it was getting tough and frustrating you didn't give up and finished it. At least that's how I remember the first one I did. Hah

The things I see that I addressed are all common things we all struggled with in the beginning of learning. Your attitude is good and your work will reflect that. As you said it's mainly common rookie mistakes. Can't stress the reference, get some good ones of the nose, eyes, ear butts, and ears and try your best to replicate it.

6. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

It might be the pictures, but it sure looks like the ears need to be rotated down more to protect them from the rain.

7. Jeramy Buckles

409948B9-D323-4EA3-AF64-978235FB8B73.jpeg

Attached Files:

8. Front third of the eyelashes are pointing up. They should be pointing down at a 45 degree angle protecting the eye. Also think the eye is a little to closed. I would make them a little more open and alert. The skin in the front of the eye nearest the tear duct should be smooth, apoxie sculpt helps with this. Tear duct is slightly open for my taste. Would close it some. I usually put clay on both sides of the duct and tuck into that and the form then push the two sides of the duct together to close it up. Also need to tuck the bottom lip more. Shouldn't see any bottom lip accept a lil bit under the nose. I can see bottom lip all the way to the corner of the mouth.

9. Jeramy Buckles

On the ear hair subject, I think I might have caused the hair to do that myself when I had plastic bag packed in her ears to try and help set them. I put golf ball sized clay at the bases of the ears also. As for the hair I spritzed it with a water and hair conditioner and carded it and brushed it and it has really helped. I recarded and will let fully dry and take new pictures for you guys!

10. Jeramy Buckles

F630E4B4-D2DF-4E82-9D9B-DC611CFB40A6.jpeg How’s the ear hair now?

11. Ear hair patterns are much improved. Groom the inside ear hair as well. Next time you mount one groom the ear hair pattern and all hair patterns for that matter on the whole mount with a small wire brush before walking away to let it begin the drying process.

12. Jeramy Buckles

She doesn’t have much hair in her ears.

13. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    The notch at the bottom of the ear is too wide open. Very nice for a first mount, wish mine looked that good.