1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question on Setting Still Life Eyes

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jon S, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Trying some Still Life eyes. It looks like the lense is both iris and Sclera. Do you set them like a flex eye, when the fish is wet?? I have a crappie with a 14mm eye (iris). The 14mm still life eye is 17/18 mm overall and won't quite fit the dried eye socket. I could grind the socket out a bit and fit it. That would also mean very little epoxy needed around the eye capsule?? Or I could use a smaller 12mm eye and build up the eye capsule.
    Just wondering how y'all are setting them .

2. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

The eye when originally released was designed with iris and scleral ball in one, and the original instructions on painting them would describe this. You can see the scleral ball above the iris portion. I however still build my scleral ball out of epoxy, as I am more comfortable doing it this way. I also am not that good at painting the scleral ball portion on the inside of the SLL. The lenses in the iris area of the still life lenses are incredible, IMO, but when I see a fish under the water (or out of the water), it doesn't look like the scleral ball is under a thickness of "lense" but rather fleshy and right out in the open. You could paint the scleral part of the SLL after insertion on the outside of the SLL, but I have never found a way to make this look realistic. I'm sure there's many a talented artist out there that can do this, i have not found a way to satisfy me.

Jeff Lumsden likes this.

3. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Definitely see your point Cory, thanks. Problem for me is that by using the correct iris size (14mm), there is not a lot of room left to build an epoxy sclera. In the Rick Krane black crappie video, Rick builds the sclera out of epoxie. Not sure if his still life eye looks the same as what I have though.
    I will try to paint the sclera ball into the lense first and see how it goes.