1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wire Wheel Question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by westwingman, Feb 6, 2018.

1. westwingman

westwingman New Member

can you recommend a store bought wire wheel brush? bought one from Lowe’s but seems too coarse and tearing.

2. I don't know if this helps but VanDyke's sells two different wire wheels, one stiff and a softer one. I don't know if they will fit other machines.

3. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Get the ones offered by the taxidermy suppliers and not those from Lowes, etc. The larger diameter size and finer wire is important for our purpose. The shaft diameter of these, if different from your motor, is something you can easily accommodate with the right arbor adapters and shaft extenders available from Northern Tool or other vendors.

4. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Well I guess I’ll be the guy that disagrees. I use a coarse wheel 3’ diameter on a Vandykes 1500rpm flesher. I learned to use that from Stefan Savides. Before it’s usable turn the flesher on and push a piece of wood into it to end the wires backwards. I guess tuning wood be the word. If you have a new angle flesher that doesn’t have much HP this might be tough to do since it doesn’t take much to stop it. If you don’t tune the wheel it will eat up skin. I tried using fine wire brushes and went back to the coarse one.

woakley144 likes this.
  5. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I found a soft wire wheel at Tractor Supply. I really don't use it on birds but I do on my small animals and whitetail ears. Seems to work fine. I'm using the McKenzie bird flesher.

6. Ace hardware-5 inch, soft. Did you trim the protruding wires? Did you also put a 2x4 or a file to it to soften the edge before using it?

socalmountainman likes this.
  7. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Something else to consider. Rpm of the flesher is measured at the shaft. The larger the wire wheel the more rpms. Someone out there that’s good in math could calculate what that would. That’s why I went with the smallest I could find.

8. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Right! To each his own according to preferences following ones experience both good and bad.

9. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

DL ...your close to what your saying ... a motor that is measured at 1600 rpms tuns a 3 inch wheel or a 6 inch wheel at the same rpm... The difference is what is called Tip Speed of the wheel. The larger the wheel the faster the tip speed. but the wheel is still turning 1600 rpm's. because that is what the motor is delivering. Tip speed is used a lot in the calculation of agitators.

woakley144, smalliestalker and DL like this.
  10. westwingman

westwingman New Member

Thanks to all for feedback. Order a $20 brush from van dykes. I️ am now waiting on an arbor adapter to fit the shaft

woakley144 and silverwings like this.
  11. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

a 6 inch wheel goes faster than a 4 inch on same motor not rpms but more cutting per revolution so speed across skin is faster

bucksnort10 likes this.
  12. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

You probably will get a lot of different opinions on motor HP and speed. For what it is worth, I use a 1 hp motor that spins at 3450 rpm. I used to have the New Angle Flesher (name?). I was leery of the speed and hp of my current setup. But after making the plunge, I will not go back. The wheeling goes so much better. I was also at first leery of the speed of the wheel and after accidentally touching my hand against it, that doesn't scare me any more. Knock on wood, I haven't had a skin wrap up around the arbor. Perhaps with my good lighting and working at a height that I can really see the wheel touching the skin, that is minimized. : )
    Sorry I got off topic there.
    I use the fine wheel from McKenzie. It works like a champ. I have doubled up and use (2) wheels on the arbor.

Wildthings likes this.
  13. As far as wheels, most that you find at hardware stores are going to be really coarse, even ones that say fine. I found one at an industrial supply company that said extra fine, after hitting it with a 2X4, it definitely worked well. Lots of experimenting!

But, as stated above, buying from a taxidermy supply house is probably your best bet.

14. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I learned to use a coarse wheel and use it for everything from Wood Ducks to small animals. Works for me. With all tools the secret is to experiment and learn how to use all of them .

woakley144 likes this.
  15. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I use the wire wheel to flesh my bobcats now! The only issue I have is when you get the hide hung and the wheel takes it away from you! That damn thing will beat you to death not to mention break a finger or hand before you can get the stinkin' motor shut off!

Wildthings likes this.