1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

WTH

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by rough water, Feb 9, 2018.

1. rough water

rough water Member

painting a salmon and put the fin rays in with poly scale detail black. Got all the other colors in and hit it with a flash coat of sealer, wham, all the black disappeared. All other colors stayed. Thoughts? Guess I will be putting them back on with a different black. I will try woods and water and see if I get better results. SMH

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. JDMN

JDMN New Member

I've had many colors eaten by spray cans of various glosses. I've never had said issue with the Envirotex spray gloss.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

If you wait long enough for your underlying paint to fully dry AND you go with light enough flash coats, it shouldn't matter what kind of paint you put on underneath. Heck, I've gone over WB paints that have just set up (minutes) with lacquer sealer coats and if you go light enough with the lacquer, I don't think you'll have any problems. Or you put the black on heavy and in only one coat - that takes forever to fully dry! My guess is either the black went on last or it's the paint on your fish that takes the longest to set up fully. Then, you may have hit it a tad too hard with your lacquer gloss. JMO!

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yep, that scale detail black will disappear on you. I learned that as well, I don't think it is intended for areas that you need a more opaque pigment. In those instances I use a jet black. If you apply it in layers and seal it down with a flash coat of clear you can get some nice variations of darkening areas but not blacking them out. It just takes some experimenting as you've probably guessed.

5. rough water

rough water Member

The spots on the side were put on Wed evening so they were dry. I just sealed the fish and once it’s dry I will take my woods and water black and fix the areas that disappeared. Crazy stuff but if that’s the worse thing that happens to me I’m okay with that.

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Never experienced it and sounds like it is indeed the paint with 3Bears experiencing the same issues. Guess I was wrong!!!

7. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    gotta use light coats and let em dry

8. rough water

rough water Member

Thanks for the replies. I thought I was hitting it lightly but I will definitely just give it a few light dustings, allowing it to dry completely before each dusting. Thanks again!

9. DFJ

DFJ Active Member

EC6BF587-7719-4D4D-AB81-0D313F73B0A2.jpeg Rough water,
    Here’s where I think your problems exist from.
    With those kind of paints, there’s just no pigment to speak of any more.
    Here is a new unopened bottle that if you look closely you can see Less than a 1/4” pigment in the bottom. When you hit it, even lightly with your gloss, it’s gone.
    You’d be way better off just thinning your regular black to the consistency you need.

10. rough water

rough water Member

Thanks. That bottle is going in the trash. Going to stick with the woods and water brand. Never have a problem with their paint

Kerby Ross likes this.
  11. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

hit with hair dryer right after flash seal and gloss but yes, svale detail black goes bye bye sometimes