1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ideas for ceiling in new shop

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by show me, Feb 10, 2018.

1. looking for some ideas on finishing the ceiling in my new shop. it's just a temporary shop (year or so) until I have time to build my new complete shop. I just want something that looks presentable and don't want to mess with drywall in and a drop ceiling is out since my rafters are already 7'9" just walked around home Depot tonight and nothing really struck me as the way to go. any advice or ideas would be great. Thanks

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

JMO, but I would suggest saving your money since it's only temporary. I worked from my basement with no examples of my work for years and nobody has ever walked out because I didn't have a fancy shop. Customers are already there because they saw your work someplace else. They are there for your work. In fact these days your website is your display room. Assuming you have a good website, otherwise a poor website can do more harm than good. You only need a few examples of your work imo. Sure, a nice presentation with a professional looking shop helps command the higher prices. Just keep your shop clean and organized and do what you can to make it look presentable w/o putting in the effort to worry about the ceiling. Then, put the money into your permanent shop. JMO!

socalmountainman likes this.

3. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Put up some 1/2" rigid foam insulation board. You could paint it too, or not. Weighs nothing.

joeym likes this.
  4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

If you can get some old barn tin just screw it up there. Looks rustic and it works.

woakley144 likes this.
  5. That’s not always the case!
    I don’t know how many people stop during a week, to just look around. Slow week 2 , good week 5. They Saw the sign and stoped. Almost “ALL” become a customer. It’s the lobby that sells them , not my over flattering BS!!!!!!!!

FishArt likes this.
  6. FishArt

To clarify, I was referencing back to my website comment. They have already seen my work via this inter-web thing - lol! That's why new customers that haven't been referred come to my shop. Thousands of customers through the years and all of them that came gave me work. Many of those years in an unfinished basement. They don't care. And, unless you have an established storefront in a busy area, walk-ins, especially for somebody in a temporary location like the original poster would be basically non-existent. Personally, I don't want people showing up unannounced. I would imagine most just stopping in might be curious and are just tire kickers. The ones that come are 100% wins (for me - lol!) ;)

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

My work must sell itself, since my shop looks like a disaster area

FishArt and Cecil like this.
  8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I can relate to that at times Joey! I know I'm getting a lot done when my work area is a wreck! I don't know about you but at times I am so wore out after a long day's work I just leave as is. My display room can be a catch all seines, trash pumps, and hoses when I'm harvesting or moving fish. My back room has live fish in tanks 24/7 12 months out of the year. I like to take my customers to see the fish in the tanks or the ponds. They really love it when I feed the fish.

buckfever* likes this.
  9. FishArt

Joey, you're probably one of the few where walk-ins and the above comments apply with the size and volume of your shop. I've seen pics of your operation and it's impressive. That and professionalism I would think would help sell higher rates. SO, I'm not totally discounting the importance of a professional looking shop. It can't hurt. But, in the OP's situation, probably not worth it to put money into a temporary location. JMO...

Cecil likes this.
  10. FishArt

Cecil, when I finally get a big project out the door (with say a bunch of custom habitat and such), I literally have no open flat surfaces in my shop because a tornado went through it! I MUST clean it up before I start another fish because otherwise I would have no place to work - loL!

Cecil likes this.
  11. I guess I should have specified more lol. It's more for me than customers. my ceiling has roll insulation between the rafters and I just don't like it. My shop is in a manufactured steel building next to my house and my workload has just outgrown my space. So at some point I will be enlarging the shop area to feel like I actually have some breathing room. To your point in regards to a customers view on the shop as is.... I Do have a decent (not great) website and I estimate from speaking with new clients that it only accounts for maybe 10%-15% of new clients the remaining are referals. As my shop is now, I have had exactly one person ever stop and not become a client and that was a family member of an ex that didn't put two and two together. lol, I may just leave it but I know me and I could just wake up one day and finish it in one way or another, thanks guys

Cecil and FishArt like this.
  12. Fish art I agree with you 100%
    My shop is a store front on a main highway. So yea I get traffic. I don think traffic would happen in a basement in the back woods some wheres. 8AA44C16-9F21-46CF-AB05-56AFCB30499D.png

FishArt likes this.
  13. FishArt

Very professional looking Glenn! If my memory serves me, I believe you did the animal cut-outs up top there yourself too?

14. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Some of the walk-ins are really there looking to buy a hot & fresh pizza.

Cecil likes this.
  15. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

What is up there now? Pictures? If you have rafters or cross pieces .. tack up slab pieces of bark from a saw mill. Some can be a good 8 feet long or better. Wire up fresh pine or cedar branches. change when stale. Looks different and smells nice too.

16. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    OSB and flat white paint quick and easy.

17. Yes sir I did .

Cecil and FishArt like this.
  18. Ahhhhh you remember what the place use to be. I’m kinda regretting selling the pizza oven

Cecil likes this.
  19. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

If you have wooden ceiling joists, go to Harbor Freight and buy silver tarps, and staple them up...quick, easy, cheap!

livbucks likes this.
  20. headstuffer84

headstuffer84 New Member

I insulated the ceiling then covered it with white steel. It is easy to put up and the white steel brightened up the work area.