1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Aquarium heater hack problem

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Jordan Park, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Jordan Park

Jordan Park Active Member

Hey guys, I bought the exact same aquarium heater that sea wolf posted about hacking to get the temp up to 115-120F for degreasing. It’s an aqueon 300 watt.
    I managed to get the heat up an additional 10 degrees but it’s only at 98F. I’ve twisted the nob some more and it will not go any higher. Anyone got any ideas how I can get the temp up for degreasing?

Thanks!

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Is the one you have the one with the glass tube? If so, can you see any of the parts moving inside when you turn the knob? It also might be the heater itself the way it's made. This hack worked a while ago but I have no way of knowing if they changed the design on it inside. Maybe giving less of an adjustment inside? At worst, you can return the heater and say it doesn't work. There were Tetra ones that also worked.

3. Jordan Park

Yes this heater has the glass sides. It’s exactly the same one you posted a pic of on one of your posts.
    I think I cranked it too much cause the nob popped out with the screw. I put it back in and now the heater won’t turn on.
    I guess i broke this one, which really sucks! I gotta wait till next week to buy a new one. I’ll look for a tetra heater as well.
    There’s gotta be something out there that will heat up water to 120F and be safe and efficient right?

4. Jordan Park

Oh and I can’t see any parts moving when I turn the nob, but that might be because I broke the darn thing now.

5. Sea Wolf

Yeah, I would say that was an "oops". Saving grace is that you can return it and say it doesn't work. When you go to do this, you aren't turning things very far.

6. jakemyster44

jakemyster44 New Member

I can confirm that the aqueon 200w being sold on amazon is still fully hack-able. I bought one a few weeks back and it works like a charm!

7. Jordan Park

I wonder if there’s a difference between the 200 watt and the 300 watt. I’m going to buy the 200 this time and try it again. At $55 a pop this can get pretty expensive lol.

8. Sea Wolf

You need to return the heater you have that is dysfunctional. No need to tell them that you tried to tweak it. It just doesn't work. Getting the 200 watt one should be cheaper. Meaning you will get some $$ back. I use the 300 watt ones because a lot of my containers are outside and exposed. The larger element doesn't come on quite as often as a 200 watt one would.

Jordan Park likes this.
  9. ToTheBone

ToTheBone New Member

I'm using the 150watt aqueon and so far on day four holding strong at 115

Attached Files:

10. Sea Wolf

Balls on top will help to hold heat in as well as cut down on evaporation. Do you have your bucket wrapped too?

11. I use a hot water tank heating element. From Home Depot. Works great.

12. Sea Wolf

How do you manage to get that to work in a 5 gal bucket? I have used water tank elements in larger holding tanks but not in a 5 gal bucket. That's where the tweaked fish tank heaters come in.

woakley144 likes this.
  13. I use a black Rubbermaid tote

14. Anybody still doing the temp hack on the Aqueon heaters? I bought a 200watt and got the k temp knob popped off , but the stem is a clear plastic? and feels very stiff/tight to try and turn past the said max temp setting. Feel like I am gonna break something if I try turning it any further. Any suggestions??

15. Sea Wolf

Is it the same heater that I pictured? I can't look at any of mine now as they are all in use. I don't remember a clear rod, I thought it was black but it did seem to be plastic. You don't have to turn it far once pulling the knob off. Just past where it was stopped. Put the knob back on and turn it less than 1/4 turn. It really shouldn't be hard to do. If you turned it, set it in water and see what the temp is in the water in 24 hours. At the worst, you could return it and try another. There were some people that said that not all of them were set up the same way inside. Some could be turned more than others. The other brand that I have, but have not bought any in a long while, were Tetra.

16. Thanks again Sea Wolf, here is a pic of the heater with temp knob removed IMG_20190219_163227482.jpg

17. blindluck

blindluck Member

I use the same setup. I turn it up to 86 degrees pull the knob then put it back on at the lowest temp setting then turn it again to 86 deg and repeat 3-4 times and get it to heat from 115-120.

18. Thanks for replying, how old are your heaters? I believe they have been upgraded to a new version, not sure I can get the heater I just purchased to do anymore than barely a 1/4 turn past max temp setting, it Soo tight it feels like I will break if I force it anymore. Maxed out temp just below 90 degrees. The Viaqua had the bucket at 100 degrees when I swapped them out...

19. Sea Wolf

For macerating, that will be fine. For degreasing it does need to get to 120 for deer. It might be just that particular heater. Before you give up, try exchanging it and try another. They may not be all the same.

endeavor likes this.
  20. Thinking I may just do a slow simmer with Dawn and water on the coleman stove til no grease surfaces