1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bobcat ear?????

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Jwhargro, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Hey everyone, I have a bobcat hide that I left tan on last night. I went out to shop to run it through a bath this morning. As I was washing cat I noticed the colored pigment on the inside of the ear just started coming off of the skin. It's pretty much only on left ear. Anybody had this happen before? IMG_20180211_193833.jpg IMG_20180211_193847.jpg

2. GWebb

GWebb Active Member

Yep, it's called slippage. Best to treat cats, foxes and yotes with Stop-Rot as soon as you get them in the shop. I never had one slip after I started applying it.

socalmountainman likes this.

3. Well is there anything I can do to color the ear? It's not going to be mounted, customer just wants the skin as a throw he can lay over a chair. So it will flexible and handled from time to time.

4. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

It's a small enough area that I would try flocking. I keep the five primary colors of flock in stock in my shop for emergencies. You can mix the primary colors together to make secondary colors; brown and white = tan, etc. I use elmers glue mixed with a little water and brush it on the area, then sprinkle flock, let dry and blow off the loose flock. https://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Search.aspx?k=flock

5. I'll gi
    I'll give it a shot thanks for the help. I've done 3 other cats and this is the first one I've had do it. I know GWEBB said use stoprot. Just wondering why it is doing it on this one. Followed same steps as the last 3 without stoprot with no problems.

6. socalmountainman

Slippage (epidermal slip) is caused by bacteria, decomposition. We are lucky it doesn't happen more often since we have no idea how the client has handled the trophy out in the field. I get my Stop-Rot from Steve (tazzymoto on this forum). http://www.helpinghandhangers.com/ourproducts.htm

7. I've purchased some stop slip from Fosters. Do I apply this stuff on skin side of hide, hair or both? Do I apply it after I salt or before? Sparay on or sponge on?

8. socalmountainman

Pour some in a cup and brush it on both sides. The brush will help to penetrate especially around the ears and the fur on the ears and lips. Do this BEFORE salting.

9. I will do that, thanks a ton. Is there a difference in stop slip and stop rot?

10. socalmountainman

That's a good question.... I do not know. I have only used the original Stop-Rot for about 10-15 years. Nothing else. I would definitely follow their instructions though. My instructions were for Stop-Rot.

11. O
    Ok, I'll get some stop rot. I'll use what works. Thanks again.

12. GWebb

GWebb Active Member

I used Stop-Slip many years ago. It seemed to me to be nothing more than liquid hair-spray. LOL The entire area dried hard like it had been soaked with hair spray. It's to be used after an animal is mounted and while drying. Never bothered using it anymore. I have just put a spray nozzle on my stop-rot and sprayed it on whatever I was putting it on. I know, it says to brush it on but I seemed to have the same results as brushing it on plus it seems to last a little longer when you spray it. JMO

13. socalmountainman

I too keep a spray bottle with Stop-Rot. As I'm working on mounts, if the skin begins to dry while working, I spray the Stop-Rot instead of water to moisten areas, especially on ducks when I'm working on attaching the artificial heads or on game head lips and eyelids. I didn't want to say this as the instructions say not to and I don't want to give out wrong information. But like you, it works for me.

Jwhargro likes this.
  14. Great info guys, I appreciate it. I ordered 2 quarts of stop rot yesterday. Thanks again!!

15. Jkostella

Jkostella New Member

I have a question on the stop rot. It says not to put in an atomizer. Would it really hurt anything to not to?

16. socalmountainman

I believe that in order to work the best to prevent slip on hides and capes it must be brushed on. Their instructions are clear on this. However, for the purpose of keeping areas moist while working on them, I have put some in an atomizer to do just that. I am in no way spraying complete capes or hides with the atomoizer. I always keep my spray bottle handy and even when a fox or bobcat comes in I will spray the ears and muzzles before bagging them for the freezer. Never hurts to be extra careful.

17. Jkostella

Jkostella New Member

Thank you. I agree but was wondering as well. Even if you spray on and maybe massage it in with a gloved hand.