1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My 5th duck/bird ever

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Mercer89, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Mercer89

Mercer89 New Member

I just finished my 5th duck but 1st mallard a few days ago. I was just wanting to see what y’all thought about it? I seen I should of tucked the white in on the eye after I looked back at reference pictures but wasn’t sure on what else y’all see that needs some work.
    CEFD1615-0B68-4885-86AF-E5EFA00E5AE4.jpeg B18FC374-D171-42A1-804F-AED27550B584.jpeg 946130A6-ACB9-4677-B68E-C360F9603FF3.jpeg 96941AAA-88B2-4DBB-827B-BE99AE735AB5.jpeg 559011ED-4466-4367-AE07-491CE462597A.jpeg 8E57D013-62D7-49F7-96DB-276BD40BEEB1.jpeg 484DDA5E-EB5E-4327-A17A-57E1AB7FAFEE.jpeg

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I love the pose! Very nice!

3. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Wings appear too vertical. Might separate the tips more too. Reference pics help a lot for the wing position.
    Get the clips off the feet, they will leave a mark. Are you injecting the feet? Either way, wipe the feet with lacquer thinner and dry and them take a doubled piece of blue tape and tape the feet in the desired pose from the underneath. Feet dry quick so get the tape off after a day or two. The area between the body and leg could be tucked a bit to show some definition. Overall pretty nice work so far.

4. Mercer89

Mercer89 New Member

Thanks yea I was thinking I had the wings pulled to much but the picture I was going off of they were pretty high but it was hard to tell on the picture how high they were up. I am injecting the feet but should I inject the feet while they are drying or after they are dry? Thanks for the tip on the clips I didn’t know they would leave marks

5. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Inject them now while they're fresh. Don't let them dry on ya prior to attempting to inject. If you can't get to them right away, you prolly ought to keep some damp paper towels around them. My $.02

6. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

BTW... that's a great fifth duck IMO!
    Just spent 20 minutes looking through reference and the wings might be a touch too vertical, but if they are it isn't much. The wing tips can touch according to reference, but honestly, I think it would be more pleasing with a bit of space between them... just an opinion.
    I actually was going through reference because I thought perhaps your scapulars were grouped a bit too tightly and draped a bit too far off the body, but I couldn't find anything to confirm that so I cannot say that with confidence. If someone with more knowledge than I could comment on that, I would appreciate it. I certainly could stand to learn something here, also.
    Again... very nice fifth duck!

Mercer89 likes this.
  7. Mercer89

Mercer89 New Member

Thanks I’ll go ahead and inject the feet I think Getting the scapulars in the right place is the hardest for me because I don’t have the experience to know where they should go I was just trying to put them where they looked like on my reference picture I had. Thanks for the compliment I stayed up til 2am working on that duck trying to figure out how to get the wings to stay up I have trouble carding the wings to make them stay where I want them haha. If you have any pointers for me on that carding the wings I would greatly appreciate it. I’ll post my reference picture that I was using 9A4181D3-CF66-449F-A3D3-210F1AAFA1A0.png

8. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Very nice reference pic, Mercer.
    Go to the bird section, then go into 2018 What's on Your Workbench... look at how Josh and Brooke (and others) are using light gauge wire temporarily while drying to support desired wing position. Sharpen one end and (when you KNOW you have all your skin positioned properly) anchor it into the mannikin and shape the wire accordingly. I can't really tell from your pics if you are using this technique or not. It's not imperative, but often is a very useful technique. BTW, if you follow that thread you can learn a lot from pics...;)
    Also... go on Youtube sometime and watch birds in flight in slow motion. It'll really shows ya how those wings work.
    FYI... I'm not convinced your scaps are wrong. I'm hoping someone else will comment. It's hard to find reference pics of that position that show the back...o_O

9. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

UltraSlo.com

10. Mercer89

Mercer89 New Member

Thanks Tom
    I seen some pictures in the past with a wire sticking out while they had the wings drying but didn’t know how they were doing it I’ll have to check out the 2 you mentioned that’s in the bird section and start doing mine like that. maybe it’ll let me get to bed sooner haha. After fighting with the tape for a few hours I just tied some thread to the paper clips and pulled them up where I wanted and tied it to the ladder behind the duck lol.

11. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Ah, yes...Persistence and improvisation... without it it I'm not sure I'd have any success at all!... :D

12. Very unique pose. Honestly never seen it done not to say it hasn't and you have reference to back it up. I also insert wire into the body and shape to the wing and attach wing temporarily to wire while drying to help hold the desired wing set.

13. Mercer89

Mercer89 New Member

Thanks for all the tips I’ll post my next bird when I get a chance away from work to do it. It’s a wood duck I heard they were the hardest to do and make look right so will see how it goes

14. Jim McNamara

Please look at your reference pic and the one of your bird in about the same pose. Your wings go up almost like someone doing a jumping jack. He is back stroking just as he is landing so is pushing air if that makes sense. Look at the reference and see that the primaries are coming out over his head more then straight up. That’s my take on it anyways. The extreme upward bend is why the scraps look odd too. I grant you it’s a bit hard to see it in the reference pic but it’s there. ( shadows)
    It’s still nice work , clean and soft which goes a long way in making a good mount.

15. Jim McNamara

Here is an example, granted it’s a bit earlier in the landing phase but you see how he is catching air to brake his speed. I found a couple much closer to yours but they are copy righted. Your guy is just a bit further along with his head more out and down and the feet ready to ski. Maybe I am making more of this then needed and if so you have my apology but I think your own reference picture shows what I am talking about.
    Woodies are not much worse then Mallards cleaning wise. Just get the feather roots very exposed and clean for the crest so it will stay in place as it dries. Try light air to Groom 17CA0F88-ADEB-4575-81CB-A360D03C4B0D.jpeg the crest.

Wildthings likes this.
  16. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Mercer, good job on getting him mounted. My advice would be to do basic banking poses for your first several birds. Boring I know, but it will help you tons on making sure you are putting everything where it goes. I did the same thing when I started, wanted to do all these cool mounts and poses, and I did a few like that. If you want to improve faster, and get the basics down, just do a few basic poses and really pay attention to how the wings attach, the head/neck junction, the skin being in the right place ect. Once you get the basic banker pose down pat then jump off into the extreme poses.

Wildthings likes this.
  17. Mercer89

Mercer89 New Member

I see what your talking about jim the primaries are curving around his head rather then straight up like mine are I can see the jumping jack pose now on my bird lol. Your example picture helps put my reference picture pose into perspective better to where I can see a little more of what he is doing. Thanks for the advice. Brooke you are right I need to do some more basic flying poses I did 2 flying poses and then jumped into different poses to play around with it but I think I’m gonna do my next few just basic flying to figure out exactly where things go. Also on my first bird it has a yellow oily spot on the chest is that just where I didn’t get all the fat off when I was fleshing it? Is there anyway to fix that? It also has a oily smell to it

18. Tom Maul

Tom Maul Active Member

Thanks for the input, Jim. I think you're exactly right. If the wings on his mount were dropped the gap between the body and the tertials would close considerably (which needs to happen). Granted, there should be some gap, but not nearly what Mercer has on his mount. Mercer has tried to close that gap with the scaps which is incorrect. Dropping the wings would correct all these issues. Thanks for helping me see the light.

Mercer89 likes this.