1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

antelope help

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by drwalleye, Feb 13, 2018 at 10:14 AM.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I got a antelope skull in last night that someone else did for a guy this fall and he just wanted me to put it on a panel but this thing was so greasy I couldn't believe it. 1 month old and totally yellow. The horns have been glued back on so my question is if I put it in my degreasing tank for however long it takes, will it hurt the horns to be submerged in hot soapy water that long as they are just made out of hair. I didn't want to do it before finding out for sure because I never put the horns in before while degreasing and it is a super nice goat and I don't want to be the one to wreck it. Thanks for any advice

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    What was used to glue the horns on? They are made of hair, so long soaks can ruin them. I would discuss it with the customer before I proceeded any further. You may just be better off installing the panel and move on.

socalmountainman likes this.

3. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Ya I have no idea what they used to glue them on with and I didn't want to pick at to find out. Thanks that's kind of what I would have thought that long soaks would be bad. I may just give it back. Too bad it was a veteran military hunt and I hate to see him with poor quality

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Active Member

Speed goat horns are like Buffalo horns. Soaking them is going to ruin them. They soften and disintegrate. It probably would be best to discuss this with the owner and tell him this and have him settle just for a panel. It is a shame that you cannot clean that up for him and make it look better. Word of mouth on that might bring you more additional business. You also might want to try soaking it in acetone. Acetone will not hurt the horns but it might make a dent in that glue and soften it enough so that you can pull the horns off and try to salvage that skull. To be safe you could also ask your customer to contact the person who did the work and ask them what they used to glue the horns on with. If it was Bondo you're going to be out of luck.