1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first time tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by killerman19, Feb 13, 2018.

1. killerman19

killerman19 New Member

ok so I started tanning a pig hide about a week ago.
    first I fleshed the hide, then salted for 24 hrs.
    then I soaked the hide in cold water and dawn soap for a couple hours to try to degrease it.
    then I rinsed, and added it into my pickle solution. cyctric acid water and salt for 2 days
    let it dry for a few hours
    neutralized with a little soap and water for 30 min
    finally I tanned it. 1 pound of alum for 7 days
    after that I let it dry. I noticed for the most part the skin was all white. but there were a few oily spots on the thin part of the hide. how can I fix this since I already tanned it?
    also if my steps are totally wrong, please let me know!
    thanks for all the help

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You may or may not get it out now for it may be set it.
    I would say this first, you degreased at the wrong time and what your doing may cause issues latter on.
    TO properly degrease a cape wait till you pickle the cape for three day if not longer during the pickle process. The use of citric acid is a good and natural degreaser but it the cape should be left in for two -three weeks , then take it out , drain and degrease in using many of our industry degreasers. Dawn just won't cut it on heavy grease animals.
    You can try to put it back in the pickle and redo the whole process and think about using one of the better tans out there along with a good oil.