1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

when to degrease

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by killerman19, Feb 13, 2018.

1. killerman19

killerman19 New Member

when are you supposed to degrease? is it mixed in with your pickle? or do you do it afterwards?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    depends on what you are tanning but I do mix a little in my pickle for deer. Most other things are pulled out of pickle and get their own degreasing step with a good degreaser designed for it.

3. killerman19

killerman19 New Member

it is for a hog. for some reason there is grease spots on my hide that I recently tanned. do you think its ok to go back and degrease it now, even if its already tanned?

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I think I read that post, it sounds like you did many things wrong. The directions for properly tanning should come with whatever brand you choose, if not they are likely available here somewhere. Dawn works great for degreasing skulls and washing birds but is not the best option for greasy skins. For what it's worth, if this pig skin is important to you, I would start over and add in a degreasing step and then finish it out.

5. killerman19

killerman19 New Member

ok great thanks. is there any over the counter degreasers that people use?

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    none that I know of.

7. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I would get a tanning kit from a taxidermy supplier and some degreaser also from them. Then I would redo the pickle, degrease, tanning and neutralizing steps as per your tanning kit's instructions. I have had to re tan stuff I screwed up before with no ill effects.